• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is it so important to bond bunnies?

Kay

Mama Doe
Facing the possibility of having Arthur bonded (he is on the bonding list) but I am wondering why it is such a good idea.

I don't like it when they hump each other and I am scared that Arthur will get into another fight and end up with even more of a ripped ear or worse.

Is it a case of true companionship or simply a case of one being more dominant than the other?

What are the benefits of having a bonded pair as apposed to a singleton?

Buns are sociable, so they shouldn't be alone. That said, it suits me having bonded buns. I'm too busy to cope with lots of singles. I think if a bun is indoors & a person only works part-time, or someone is in the house a lot, & a bun has always lived alone, I think they can be happy with just plenty of human company:D

Yeah see I am really torn. When Arthur was bonded for all of 3 days before it was constant stress. If they weren't together all the time then I worried it wasn't working out. Then of course there was the massive fight and I am really scared it will happen again.

Arthur seems happy alone but then he has calmed down since the last time so perhaps he will be fine.

I think it's a balance - a week of stress vs a lifetime of being a social animal living alone. Yes it can be horrible watching the bonding but once they are bonded, they stop all the humping and stressful behaviour and settle down into a very happy co-existence. Neutered bonded bunnies don't really display traditional dominance behaviour once they are fully bonded. I guess it's a bit like childbirth, if we just focused on the actual experience of the birth itself, we'd never experience the joys of motherhood and everything that comes after that short period of time (not being a mother myself I wouldn't know, but I think the analogy stands).

Having seen the huge difference in happiness and contentment that bonding has made to all of my bunnies there is no way I would advocate single bunnies again unless the rabbit had made very clear to an experienced bonder that they didn't want a friend! And in those cases I'd want them to be a housebun with someone home most of the day - with the best will in the world a single bun outdoors is going to be alone for a good 22+ hours a day. I also think it makes a difference having someone do it for you - it's horrible watching your little one bicker, but I do think they pick up on your stresses and fur pulling, ignoring etc is normal and not something to write off.

thank you Alison that has put my mind at ease. I wonder who he'll get as a wife! :D

You have raised some excellent points and this time he will be going to Caroline. I think perhaps last time he was still hormonal.

Last edited:
when i first had gumpy i loved him to bits and was afraid of him ignoring me and going off with his wifebun however when my O/H got myxi, they took to each other straight away the only problem we had is some scabs on myxi's neck where gumpy was latching on when humping :? however they are sooo sweet together and whenever myxi goes somewhere that gumpy cant get to gumpy is looking around for her however gumpy also loves having special one on one time with me but im glad hes bonded as i cant be here day in day out every day for him and at least hes got company

I wonder who he'll get as a wife!

So many to choose from! I'd have full confidence in Caroline's ability to know if it's a right pairing for your precious one and to make sure everything goes to plan :D

Not all bondings are stressfull. I've bonded Inky twice (his first girlfriend died suddenly) and had no problems either time. When I bonded him first with Floss, there was a bit of chasing but they had settled down within about an hour or so. With Smokey, they fell in love at first sight and have been inseperable since.

I think it helps to have an experienced person to help you pair up with a suitable bunny. The woman who runs my local rescue picked right for Inky both times.

you can bond him with me! :love: i'll never fight with him, i pwomise! i'm toilet trained, healthy, friendly, i like being handled, i'll let you trim my nails with fuss. my favourite vegetable is capsicums. yellow, orange or red, not green though.

i'd prefer it if i didn't have a bum check everyday though!

i love Arthur! :love::love::love::love::love:

Bonding is stressful but I think the benefits outweigh the differences by loads. One study found given the opportunity rabbits would spend 25% of their time is physical contact with their partner. I love my bunnies but spending 6hrs per day glued to their sides can be a bit difficult to manage. Another study found they put as much physical effort into getting at another rabbit as they did food. Now I know how much my bunnies love food so that's a pretty big indicator of their desire for company :lol:

I hope it all works out for you because I know once you've had the opportunity to see them loved up it will become clear why we put ourselves through the worry :lol:

Tam

One study found given the opportunity rabbits would spend 25% of their time is physical contact with their partner.

That's really interesting especially when you put the 6 hours a day context onto it - and my experience has always been much higher percentages than that; with my two lops I'd honestly say that figure is nearer 95%, and it's probably about 60% for my nethies.

Laura your so funny! :lol: Although the hutch is very big and your nice and slim I don't think you'll be able to do 4 hops from wall to wall without hitting your nose so I don't think it will work! :D

Whoever we finally end up with I want to really use this opportunity to really help a bunny like this one, she's been at the rescue for 20 months!:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=6912

That's really interesting especially when you put the 6 hours a day context onto it - and my experience has always been much higher percentages than that; with my two lops I'd honestly say that figure is nearer 95%, and it's probably about 60% for my nethies.

I'll see if I can dig it out and check but I think the 25% was actual contact so excludes the times where they are sat near each other sycronised grooming/eating etc. I know mine are usually within a foot of each other even if they are not actually touching probably a good 90+% of the time.

Tam

Having just bonded Pumpkin with Lucky (yesterday) I can certainly confirm that a bonded bun is much happier than a singleton. Im considering trying to bond my 2 couples into a foursome would be great to see them all together. Bonding is nerve racking because you're never quite sure how its going to go. Poor Lucky suffered terrible humping but finally she'd had enough & put Pump in his place & now he grooms her all the time (Not seen her groom him yet)
Why is it taking so long for poor Solo to find a home?

Back