• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hock Help!

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
When I was watching Holly this morning I noticed that she had skin showing on her feet like her fur had sort of worn away. I instantly thought it was a sore hock but I'm not sure as I haven't had a proper look :oops: Holly hasn't been picked up/cuddled for about a year as she doesn't really like it so I have no idea how she will react to me turning her over to take a look (I'll probably have no hand left afterwards).
Anyway if it is a sore hock what surfaces will aggrivate it? (and which surfaces could of caused it?) and I know she'll probably need the vet but is there anything else I can do? And have you got any tips on how I can pick up a terrotorial bunny which hasn't been handled for ages? :shock:

I'm really worried about her, she's a tough bunny and hasn't had a health problem for about a year or two :shock:

Thanks and sorry about the amount of questions :oops:

Last edited:
Put some sudocrem on the hocks. I dont tip eclipse up because he really hates it so I just kind of lift his foot up you know like when they stretch and he lets me have a look that way :)

Thanks, I'll get some Sudocrem now :D I think it may be caused by the carpet in her hutch? She also ahs bare wood, vet bed and concrete.

Don't mean to sound rude.. but if you havent picked her up in over a year, have her nails grown long and causing pressure on her feet? Just thought could be an issue ;)

could it be the carpet causing her feet to be sore then? Maybe replace it with vetbed or something softer and see if it helps ;)

You have advice for treating the skin so I'll suggest some ways of washing a hard to handle bunny....
Letting bunny splash about in a bath with about 1-2 inch of luke warm water, but they do try to climb out. Lay towels in the bottom of your bath if you dont want to damage your bath or bunny to slip.
Washing bottom only in sink - nightmare. Taps get in the way and you cant see when the soap is all out.
Sitting on a stool in the bath (fully clothed), with bun on lap, holding front legs up to expose tummy and bottom, while friend showers bunny's bottom. When bun is clean, wrap in towel and get changed.
Remember to have loads of old towels handy and wear an old thick jumper to protect your skin from scratching. Stressed bunny doesnt need you screaming in pain.
Also make sure you have plenty of time for bunny to get dry before it goes outside and make sure its hutch/run are spotless. No point putting a clean bun in a dirty hutch!
I bought mild conditioning bunny shampoo from pets at home, didnt cause any irritation. However you mentioned cracks/open sores, if ever you get them, use water only. But please be vigilant and try to avoid cracks or open sores.
Good luck x

Hey so sorry about what happen:(!:cry:!!!!!!!!!!!
kisses and hugs to your bunny (if you can get hold of it!lol)
and kisses and hugs to you!!!

Sorry about Holly. I'd say it might be the concrete. When I went on holiday once Molly and Faline stayed in someones outdoor shed and yard which was all concrete, after just a week she had a little bald patch on each of her feet. (she is a rex, so more prone)

Back