• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit jealousy?

Stalvros

Warren Scout
OUCH!
marble just bit me because i pat carpet more then her :(.
You mean rabbits can get jealous?

Also, carpet seems more 'generous' then marble.
like when i pat carpet and place my hand beneath his mouth, he'll lick my finger repeatedly. Whereas when i place my hand beneath marble's mouth, she'll just nudge it back so that my hand's on her head (indicating that she wants to be pat more then she wants to lick me)

Some rabbits have different temperaments, by nipping you he might just be telling you to go away :shock: Neither of mine like being stroked :(

I was giving Alistair his nose rubs the other day - which he loves. Suki watched my hand for a while, then pushed it away. She groomed Alistair's nose. When she stopped, I went back to stroking him & she nipped me:shock::lol:

Some rabbits have different temperaments, by nipping you he might just be telling you to go away :shock: Neither of mine like being stroked :(

lol, how come?

I was told that you need to stroke them constantly
when they're young. It's more like an in-born thing?
I've always stroke them with 1 hand and read my book on the other~
(So i can only stroke 1 at the time)
(There was once i was stroking carpet and marble just SHOVE her tiny little head into the gap so with 1 stroke i ended up stroking 2 rabbit heads -> talk about killing 2 birds with 1 stone)

But yeah i didnt know that rabbits can get jealous.
I thought they're supposed to be CALM creatures XD

I think they can be jealous, probably more in a territorial sort of way. I know Fidget thinks that I'm hers. When I first got Daisy, and Fidget saw her, she ran around me feet, pooing everywhere, and started to grunt and headbut me, as if to say, you're mine, how dare you bring that creature into my house!! :lol::lol::roll:

They can certainly get jealous. Lucky is the most laid back bun you will ever meet but when I stopped petting her to pet Pumpkin she actually growled & lunged at my hand to make me stop. Id never heard her growl before & at first I didnt even realise the noise came from her. Even Munch & Pip get jealous. As soon as i stroke one the other runs over & puts their head down to be petted even butting my hand off the others head & onto theirs :lol:

yes i beileve rabbits to get jelouse like if you have two and one sees you stroking the other rabbit first or for longer they might nudge you or nip you

Yes, buns DEFINATELY get jealous! My Timmy is TERRIBLE with jealousy. If I fuss over Rosie, whom he loves, he will go for her. If Buffy, my dog, approaches me and I sit and rub her head, Timmy will rush over and bite her leg or her foot. I even have to be careful with my little grand-daughter.....even though he doesn't try to bite her, if I hold her on my lap and cuddle her, he dives onto my lap TOO! :shock: So I have to put the gate up and keep him in the kitchen when my grand-daughter is here, because I worry about her getting accidentally scratched when he makes a dive for my lap! :roll:

Some of my other buns get jealous too.....but fortunately they just try to push in and nudge each other out of the way! :roll: :lol:

like when i pat carpet and place my hand beneath his mouth, he'll lick my finger repeatedly. Whereas when i place my hand beneath marble's mouth, she'll just nudge it back so that my hand's on her head (indicating that she wants to be pat more then she wants to lick me)

i think that's a hierarchy thing, Carpet sees you as more dominant that him so he'll groom you, Marble sees you as being "beneath" her and you are not worthy of being groomed by her! do you find that Carpet grooms Marble more than she does him?

Flopsy can be so jealous of Rory sometimes!
If i go to pet Flopsy, she just hops off. She isn't that interesed in me. But if she sees me petting Rory she comes running over and just sticks her head in and starts pushing my hand until i pet her too :lol:
If im not stroking Rory then she doesn't bother

Back