• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

just a suggestion on nail clipping

areia

Wise Old Thumper
some of us know its very hard to trim the claws of our buns and pigs if your pet doesnt mind being handled ive worked a way you can do it, if you have an old LARGE (as in bigger holes) knit jumper when you wrap your bun in it the claws stick out through the holes making it soooooooooo much easier to clip them, i found this works just as well for long haired buns as its not always easy to hold the fur back while holding the bun then clipping, obviously if you have a wriggler this may not work as well as claws may get stuck, just thought i'd share my tip :D unless its been suggested already :oops:

Good idea

Just say any one unsure of cutting nails be careful not to get buns nails caught in jumper as if they panic they will rip them out.
If in doubt take them to vets/grooming parlour as if you do accidentally cut too short you could paralyze bun!
I find it easier if someone holds mine for a cuddle then I can clip them as they are being carried.

ive never been good at putting me words right i was ment to say something along those lines as well :oops: just something ive found works for me, my partner is not very confident at holding small buns he thinks he going to break them bigs buns fine,:roll: so its a job i do on my own

I flip my buns on their backs and hold them tight to me and clip them. But i may be lucky they hold still :? Also i just cut Toffee's long bits if they get in the way.

My bunnies would never sit along enough for this. They hate there feet being touched!

do 1 to 2 nail at a time. In the local vet hospital, that's all they use, as in the rotary tool (Drummel). Once you try the above, you never go back.

The reason is, w/ nail clipper, which is what I used to use in the past 10 yr., there is a fear of over cutting. So in the end, I can never cut enough.

w/ this tool, you can trim 1 very thin layer at a time, in a worst case scenario, you see the very initial formation of the Quick, you can stop immediately. W/ nail clipper, you cannot see what you cut, thus, the damage on the quick, just like that video

Back