• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What could this be? U/D Vets tomo. U/D we are Back!

Mazda

Warren Veteran
I just was takeing picture of pebble, and i wanted to take one of her cute little mouth.

And i took it and this is what i got.
DSC00222.jpg

Is it blood? :?

She would never let me look, let alone touch under her mouth.( I would have no fingers left) does anyone have any ideas of what it could be and how she did that?? Thanks x

Last edited:
Not too sure what that could be hon - looks more gingery to be blood, can you get any more pics or maybe rub a tissue/babywipe under her chin?

That is dermatitis caused by her having a permanently wet chin
She may have a sore mouth caused by sharp points on her back teeth ( molar spurs) making her drool a lot. So a vet check is needed. She will also need treatment for her sore skin.

If she drinks from a bowl that can cause the fur under the chin to get wet but to me that looks more like a Dental problem

thanks jane.

but shes eating fine :?
she drinks out of a bottle.

:cry: I just tried to wipe her chin.. i got bitten and growled at!

Ooh god! does she need to see a vet? x

Hi

my bunny has something similar at the moment, shes a bit down with it too. I went to the vets last week and im taking her again this week think she is going to require a dental.

Kimmy (my bun) is also eating as usual and drinking small amounts but she is off her hay I have noticed. I am so worried about her though she just isnt herself.

A trip to the vets is advised!

she is her normal self, this is what is confusing me! :?

i thought with teeth problems she wouldnt eat.. shes eating her pellets, though she ate less yesterday, but ive noticed since we got her that she has off days and eats less than normal. :? could this be why?x

Looks normal to me. They have a scent gland there and it sometimes gets a slightly ratty patch of hair just under the chin.

hmmm...I think it looks a little too red to be a patch of dry fur. Ideally you need to take a better look at it. If you can hold her against your chest to calm her down and then slowly try to put her on her back she might trance, giving you the chance to have a proper look. I think it is is an irritation due to saliva then she should see the vet to have her teeth checked.

ETA rabbits who have dental problems can still carry on eating, hence why it should never presumed that they don't have problems just because they are still eating.

hmmm...I think it looks a little too red to be a patch of dry fur. Ideally you need to take a better look at it. If you can hold her against your chest to calm her down and then slowly try to put her on her back she might trance, giving you the chance to have a proper look. I think it is is an irritation due to saliva then she should see the vet to have her teeth checked.

ETA rabbits who have dental problems can still carry on eating, hence why it should never presumed that they don't have problems just because they are still eating.

.. thanks. there is no way in a million yrs she will let me flip her on her back. :(

looks like a trip to the vet is need.
What shall i say to mum? x

:(

I have a bun who doesn't like being tranced, but I often have to clip her underneath because she is a cashmere.... I manage by cradling her and holding her front paws whilst she rests on my knee...it's a bit difficult to explain. Perhaps if you ask your mum (if she is well enough) or your dad they might be able to help you look at her?

If you pop her on a towel and then wrap it around her, making her into a little cocoon, you might be able to lift her to get a closer look. Thats what my vet does anyway.

:wave: Carlton has a little grey patch under his chin where the gland is, sometimes it's a little crusty from vegetable juice too! :lol:

what veg has she eaten lately? it could even just be dyed from veggie juice.

it may still be worth a vet check just to be on the safe side if you're worried. when were her teefs last checked?

can you make her into a "bunny burrito" to turn her over? many are successful with this technique if they have buns that won't keep still.

If you pop her on a towel and then wrap it around her, making her into a little cocoon, you might be able to lift her to get a closer look. Thats what my vet does anyway.

i tried that when i went out to see her a minute ago! she just leaps out! and i cant hold her to tight im scared she will hurt herself when she struggles. :cry: x

You are probably safer taking her to the vet to get her checked out. As the others have said, they do not have to stop eating for them to have teeth problems (mine didn't). If she is drooling it can be a sign. Best to get her checked out if it is difficult to hold her safely.

Hopefully she is OK.

:wave: Carlton has a little grey patch under his chin where the gland is, sometimes it's a little crusty from vegetable juice too! :lol:

what veg has she eaten lately? it could even just be dyed from veggie juice.

it may still be worth a vet check just to be on the safe side if you're worried. when were her teefs last checked?

can you make her into a "bunny burrito" to turn her over? many are successful with this technique if they have buns that won't keep still.

veg.... she has had grapes, and abit or carrot today. She is a fussy eater! :roll:

i cant remeber when her teeth were checked. :oops: that sounds bad. last time we went she was so stressed the vet didnt check 'em.

Whats a bunny burrito? :oops: x

she is her normal self, this is what is confusing me! :?

i thought with teeth problems she wouldnt eat.. shes eating her pellets, though she ate less yesterday, but ive noticed since we got her that she has off days and eats less than normal. :? could this be why?x

I have a bun with dental problems and she never goes off her food at all, she's a greedy piglet. :)

Its hard to tell what that is from the photo - my bun Guinness has bit of a scruffy bit under his chin but it's not wet, I think that's just the way he is.

will she stand on her back legs if you dangle a treat for her?then you could get a sneaky peek under her chin as she stretches up.

i agree it would be good to get her to a vet though, just to check if her teeth are ok and nip any potential problems in the bud. good luck :wave:

Back