• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newly bonded fighting. U/D Going back to rescue for re-bonding!

Ashley

Alpha Buck
I have had a difficult bonding with newly adpopted Daisy.

I'm finding when given new area or more space they start fighting.

When i got them home from being bonded (took 5 days) i put them in the shed. After 2 hrs there was fur flying and this ended with injury to both of them. :cry: Ben had 3 bites on his bum :oops: and daisy had a bitten ear.:(

I put them in a 5ft hutch (in the shed) for 4 days and they were fine. Wednesday put back in shed and they were fine until the 2nd night when i found chunk of Ben's fur on the floor in the morning. :? They both denied fighting!

All seemed ok really, so decided today to let them explore the attached run. All seemed fine for first 30minutes. Then I go in to make a cup of tea. I look out at them, and there they are, having a huge scrap! By the time i'm there they have stopped and sit close together panting.:no::no: Daisy now has matching bite on other ear. :cry: I've sat watching and they are still rounding on each other. He starts it and then she goes for him and i have to intervene by clapping & shouting before more injury occurs.

They are now together in pet carrier. Can anybody help me to decide what i do with them tonight.

Last edited:
Ok i've calmed down now. :roll:

Hopefully being put in the pet carrier sorted them out! They are back in shed and ignoring each other!

I guess i will not try the run again for another week or so. Its obviously a dominance issue. The problem is, if i let them sort it out themselves, it usually ends in injury. So its a difficult process to follow through. :cry:

She is obviously boss but he challenges it when given new space! The shed was thoroughly de-smelled but i suppose he remembers. He is a silly rabbit to take on a big girl like Daisy though! Wish i'd done the ironing instead.

I would try a neutral zone if you haven't already - e.g. bathroom and try not to stress them or yourself too much :D

Maybe once they're calm give them a treat each to say well done?

They've had another fight so i returned them to the pet carrier which normally stops them but not this time, they were even fighting in there. I'm separating tonight.

I've arranged for them to go back to Elaine who bonded them for the rescue. She has more neutral territory and experience than me!

:cry:

Have you scrubbed the shed with a vinegar/water combination? I spent a whole Saturday doing it two weeks ago for my three!

Just read your post properly and noticed you've already said that you have! Hope that sending to the rescue works - fingers crossed.

Back