• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should the partner of an E.C bun be treated.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I've just found out one of my foster buns, who went to a lovely home and was paired to a castrated boy, has suspected E.C. Her vet has put the on a 28 day course of panacur and said her boyfriend doesn't need to be treated.

I heard this from my sister, who is looking after them as the owners, reluctantly, went on holiday, just after they became ill.

I told her it should be a 6 weeks course of panacur, and I'm pretty sure the boy should be treated too. Is this correct and if he should be treated how long a course should he be given?

Yes - the partner of the infected rabbit should be treated too as even though they may not be showing signs of the disease they can be carrying it and re-infect the other rabbit once the course is finished. My vet recommends the 28days - a 6week course has been suggested but from what I understand the manufacturers are happy with 28days - I could be wrong tho.

Yes, the partner should definitely be treated with a 6 week course, in my view.

When Dusty was first diagnosed, Clover was seen to be symptomless, so she only got put on a 9 day course. That all backfired when she started developing symptoms after her 9 day course ended. :roll:

I'd agree, I'd definitely treat them both. The spores are shed in urine so if the infected bun wees on any of the hay/bedding/grass and the other bun munches on it (which is pretty inevitable really!), then they too will pick up the infection.

Sadly Honey was found dead this morning, my sister is upset as she was looking after them and I know the owners will be gutted.

Honey was one of our first forsters and went from being an aggressive little madam to being a cuddly little girl. She went to a lovely home to live with a boy called Snowy. Poor wee soul, he will be lost without her.

I've told my sister to continue with the course of panacur, to protect him from any risk of infection.

Back