• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Black dots/eggs on bunny's back

Hi Everyone

I just wonderd if anyone has had any experience in finding black dots on their bunnies back?

I have just discovered a few patches of tiny dots which I assume must be eggs - I also found two tiny fly things.

I have looked into fly-strike but it seems that their eggs are white or yellow so I am a bit confused!

I will take him (Max) to the vet on Monday but hoped somone could offer some advice to stop me worrying!

Thanks very much
Sian

Flystrike hits the genital region - what your bun has is probably fleas or mites.

Get some rabbit flea treatment & follow the instructions :)

Do you think it might be flea dirt? take some of the black bits off & put onto some kitchen roll. Drop some water on it, if it turns red then it's flea dirt.:D

Fly strike is something which can affect any part of the body. Area that are more at risk include the genital area if the rabbit is unable to keep itself clean, areas where there are open wounds are also at risk. Flys will also lay eggs on clean but sick animals on any part of the body.

yep sounds like fleas.. one of my foster buns came in like that, and it was really weird, because I'd never had a rabbit with fleas before, and when I spoke to Lucy she said in all the 8 yrs they had been fostering rabbits, we never had a rabbit with fleas... how amazing is that?! Gutted that I broke the record!!

Back