• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help?

KellySpike

New Kit
Hi,

Can anyone offer me advice? Our bunnie gave birth this afternoon, much to our surprise and there are three babies in the main box of her large run/hutch. After giving birth she has been sitting outside in her little corner box and hasn't been back in to see the babies. She has been sitting there a little while now and we are concerned that she may not go back in to look after the babies.

Is this normal behaviour? Should she be sitting with them all the time right now seeing as they are only just born?

If anyone can give me some advice I would be grateful as we have never had to deal with this before.

Thank you.

Hi,

This is normal she will only feed them twice a day and you prob won't see her do it. Make sure she has plenty of hay etc as she may want to add to the nest, other than that you need to let her do the rest :D Good quality food and fresh water and hay is a must.:wave:

:wave: Try not to touch the babies but If you have to please rub your hands in mums dirty litter first, to conceal your scent. Also agree buck must be removed immediately if he is still in with mum :D

Have you also checked for any dead kits? good idea to get them out of the next :)

Good luck by the way, let us know how you get on :wave:

Back