• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating hay after a dental

andic

Mama Doe
Monty had a dental on Thursday. The vet saw some small spurs at the back of his mouth.
(I don't understand why he needed a dental he eats SO much hay, sometimes you think he just shovelled it in!!!)
Anyway he's back home now and is eating drinking and pooing ok - he has been eating carrot bit of cucumber, small bits of spring greens and few pellets.
He doesn't seem to be able to manage hay.....although munches through a handful of grass. he's been enjoying munching at burns meadow mix.
It's baffled me why he doesn't seem able to eat hay, when he's eating raw carrot!!
Any ideas?
We're taking him back to the vets at 4.30pm for a post-op check up, so obviously I will mention it there - will get her to weigh him too.

I suppose it will vary a bit but I had a dental bunny who was about a week before eating everything tough(!). The vets said she would eat normally within 24 hours but, same as your bunny, she seemed to be able to manage carrot but not things you would expect to be easier than carrot. Her favourite treats were some Russell Rabbit biscuit like treats and it took her a week before she tackled them (even though they don't look hard), her dental problem was molar spurs too so perhaps its just a case of which teeth are needed for different foods.

Out of interest she was a good hay eater too, but her teeth weren't lined up well so I guess the hay just wasn't enough in this case to wear them down.

Last edited:
Thanks for that....it's reassuring!
he scoffed a dandelion earlier and had some parsley as well.
he's eating little and often, but not eating hay is still baffling me..

I realise my last post in the first sentence siad "before eating anything" I meant eating anything tough!! I'd better go back and edit!!

His little mouth may still be a bit tender. Did they give him any painkiller (metacam) that you could give him for a couple of days? Would not worry too much as he seems to be eating other things.

At least he is getting checked out by vet too so they will be able to advise.

Thanks for your replies!
Just to update you we have come back from the vets and he has put on some weight since his op on Thursday! So I am VERY pleased! He must be secretly eating when I am out of sight!!:roll::lol:

Back