• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My sweet Rexy gone

bellebunny

New Kit
I was in my bunny room just sweeping and cleaning when my Rex bunny ran up to me for a treat then 5 minutes later she was gasping for air and mucas was coming out of her nose I phoned the vets straight away and took her in but she died on the journey to the vets which is only 6 minutes away from me. They have no idea without a post mortum what she died of, I asked him to check her throat to see if she had choked on the treat but there was nothing there.

She seemed fine earlier in the day when I was with them although she wasn't sitting in her usual place.

It was not a nice experience and so quick, my daughter is very upset about it as we all are.

I wondered if anyone experienced anything similar. The vet said it could be respiratory or her heart maybe.

Rest in peace my sweet Rex girl. She was only 3 years old. :cry:

I am so sorry to hear your news, such as shock and so quickly.

What sort of treats had you just fed your bun?

I am so sorry that you have lost your Bun :cry:
I have several Rexes and I believe that they are more prone to heart problems than other breeds. I dont have any proof of this other than my own experience of several Rexes who have developed heart disease.

:cry:

Janex

So sorry to hear about your bun, that's devastating - especially in such a young one.

This is really odd because a similar thing happened to Barney this morning (he is an old fella - 7ish) - he was eating normally, I went outside for less than a minute, came back in and he was producing a huge amount of clear mucus from his nose, really pushing it out. This continued, on and off, for a good 10-15 mins as I rushed around calling vets grabbing carriers etc.

However he stopped as we put him in the carrier and took him to the vet. She could find nothing wrong and thought there may have been a blockage which had suddenly unblocked. He is home now and seems ok but still breathing heavily, I am worried but there seems to be nothing else we can do (he has Bisolvon, Baytril etc).

I will let you know what else happens, it seems odd that your bunny and Barney both had such similar things happen, albeit with very different outcomes so far.

I'm so sorry :(

I do think it sounds like a blockage in the throat. The vet wouldn't have been able to see that far down I would imagine. What a horrible thing to have to witness :cry:

:cry: so sorry...we lost a bunny gasping for air and making orrible noises fitting and then died just in a click...after the vet ahd sent him home declaring him fine:evil:

i think its a medley of things it could be..but if you have other buns and are concerned then maybe the vet will be able to advise.

im so so sorry..its awful when it happens anyway but suddenly like that is a jolt.

Back