• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Safe, Climbing Plants? New Housing Idea?

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Hi, :wave:

I've found a great solution for housing Darcy (...and soon friend hopefully). I'm thinking of sectioning a 5ft x 5ft part of the shed and having a cat flap to a 2ft x 12ft run between the shed and some trellising. The trellising, as yet, has no plants on it. Are there any climbing plants I could put on there that are A. Not poisonous and B. That a bunny would not eat?

Many thanks!

Holly

P.S - How does the new housing idea sound?

Hi Holly! sounds fantastic, wish I had the space, My buns eat most things, you could protect the base of the plant with chicken wire, then you can grow anything, they seem to get bored of most things after a while and I'm sure with all that space there will be more exciting things to do than nibble your plants:D Good luck!

Thanks Marley. :)

The plants I'm thinking of are:

Passion Flower
Clematis (though I'm almost certain this is poisonous?)
Budlia
Honeysuckle
Sweet Peas (seasonal I think)

You are right about the clematis they are poisonous and sweet peas ( stems, seeds and fruit ) are poisonous too. The chicken wire is a good idea, but just in case the buns have a nibble at the lower leaves, I'd leave the sweet peas and clem's out.

The Buddleia's are very popular with the buns, and have the advantage of being very quick and easy to grow; so they will love you for that!:D

You are right about the clematis they are poisonous and sweet peas ( stems, seeds and fruit ) are poisonous too. The chicken wire is a good idea, but just in case the buns have a nibble at the lower leaves, I'd leave the sweet peas and clem's out.

The Buddleia's are very popular with the buns, and have the advantage of being very quick and easy to grow; so they will love you for that!:D

Thanks Maizy. :wave: Will avoid clematis and the sweet peas. Do the buns actually eat the Buddleia? I have it growing elsewhere in the garden (its one of the few plants I've not managed to kill...yet!! :lol::oops:

I've had a look on the net re: Passion Flower and HoneySuckle but couldn't find anywhere that said it was bad for buns, so I'm hoping they'll be okay alongside the Buddleia. :D

They love buddleia and will eat it for you given half a chance! I have 4 in my garden and use the leaves as part of a mix of green leaves for them. I can't find Honeysuckle listed initially, but I would be cautious tbh. this basic poison check list is unfortunately listed by common rather than botanical name, and I can not see it easily. The botanical name for honeysuckle is Lonicera, so whilst it is not listed under Honeysuckle or Lonicera, it maybe listed under a less common name. I always work on the basis that unless it is a known 'safe' assume it isn't. I have to get some jobs done, but I will try and and check a few more places for you tonight and let you know ditto passion flower too.:D

Last edited:
They love buddleia and will eat it for you given half a chance! I have 4 in my garden and use the leaves as part of a mix of green leaves for them. I can't find Honeysuckle listed initially, but I would be cautious tbh. this basic poison check list is unfortunately listed by common rather than botanical name, and I can not see it easily. The botanical name for honeysuckle is Lonicera, so whilst it is not listed under Honeysuckle or Lonicera, it maybe listed under a less common name. I always work on the basis that unless it is a known 'safe' assume it isn't. I have to get some jobs done, but I will try and and check a few more places for you tonight and let you know ditto passion flower too.:D

Maizy, you are a star - thank you soooooo much for your help! Very interesting re: the Buddleia, I'll give her some tonight and see what she thinks. :D

wow I never knew Buddleia was safe for buns!! My lot will get a taste of omething new today then as we've two enormous ones in the garden :D

Back