• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wetness around back end

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
I've been watching Maddie the last few days cos she seemed to have a bit of wetness around her bits. Wondered if she'd just sat in a puddle of wee or something, but the litter tray is nice and dry (well as dry as a dirty one gets!)as far as I can tell theres no accidents anywhere else.

The fur looks a bit curly - you know how hair goes when its been wet and then dried - and looking just now its definately wet, with urine I assume cos shes a bit pongy!

Now shes just been on a 2 week course of Baytril for a bite that got infected above her tail, so I'm assuming it can't be a UTI, can it? Any other thoughts?

Does she sit in her litter tray? I have megazorb and then hay on top to soak any urine up in case they decide to sit there for a long period of time.

If it continues, best to take her to the vet to get checked out as it could be an infection (even though she has been on Baytril).

Thanks - shes got megazorb and hay in the tray too - she spends a while in there cos shes always eating, but no more than anybun else and they've all got nice fluffy bits.

I would recommend you ask your Vet about starting Maddie on Panacur.
Urinary incontinence is one of the ( many ) symptoms of EC.
I'd also keep a check on her weight ( weigh her every 3 days as of today ) and also monitor how much she is drinking.

It is important to keep her back end as clean and dry as possible as the urine will burn her skin if left to dry on her fur. You may need to clip a lot of fur away from around her bum and tummy. Some vaseline applied to the bare skin around her genitals and inner 'thighs' will protect the skin from the urine and minimise the risk of urine scald. You will also need to be ultra-vigilant re flystrike.

Janex :)

ETA All 'incontact' Buns will need treating with Panacur too

Maddie went through a spell of drinking excessively last year with no reason found...blood tests for liver and kidney function - all was normal. Can't quite remember if she was tested for EC or if she was just treated for it with Panacur though.

Thanks for the advice - I'll give her a quick clean up now and see about getting some Panacur.

Is Maddie a big rabbit?I have to cut the fur off my bunnies back ends and legs as they are a bit to big to do it properly for themselves

Hi Kay - I can't remember, I'll call the vets tomorrow to ask them to look at her records. She definately had a course of Panacur around this time last year though. I wonder if that was a "just in case" course?

Maizey, no Maddie is a wee dwarf lop... now that I've noticed, she is constantly cleaning her bits, she can reach fine and is rather obsessive about grooming!!! Just gave her a bum bath and she is cleaned for now, so we'll see how she is in the morning.

Back