• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a bit of help please for a rabbit eating paper!!

mrs*spoon

Warren Scout
i dont know what to do, i could do with a bit of advise!!

i line buddys cage with newspaper and a while ago he took up ripping it up and prancing around his cage with it on his head. but now he is ripping more and more and has started to eat the newspaper. he has plenty of food and hay so its not like he is hungry, i give him a lot of attention and get him out lots for runs in the house so do you think it is a teenager thing because he is about that age?? i dont want him getting a blockage so do you think i should take the newspaper out altogether and just put sawdust and hay in his cage??

any help will be muchly appreciated!!

Paper's not really anything to worry about; if I were you I'd be more worried about using sawdust in his hutch.

even if he eats a lot of paper he will be ok?

i know sawdust isnt the best thing to use, but with my last bun i didnt know this and he was fine on it for over 8 years. the thing is i wouldnt use sawdust but i dont know what else to use. ive seen people use vetbed and stuff like that but he isnt litter trained in his cage really (he is out of it though) so it would just make a mess of it all.

One of mine eats newspaper like its going out of fashion :shock:! I try to give her other things to do as I just don't think it's any good for her! I hide pellets in cardboard tubes stuffed with hay and give them boxes to get into. She still eats newspaper but just less that she would if I didn't!!!

even if he eats a lot of paper he will be ok?

i know sawdust isnt the best thing to use, but with my last bun i didnt know this and he was fine on it for over 8 years. the thing is i wouldnt use sawdust but i dont know what else to use. ive seen people use vetbed and stuff like that but he isnt litter trained in his cage really (he is out of it though) so it would just make a mess of it all.

Yep - one of my rabbits would happily live off paper & cardboard! :lol:

Woodshavings are better than sawdust, or just use hay?

Zakura used to pull my drawings of the wall and eat them:oops:
I was worried about her eating it though so I took away the pictures she could reach. But she still had some strapped on the outside of her cage right behind the hay rack because so much hay kept falling out of the cage:lol:

Back