• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help....pee changes!

Beebop

Warren Veteran
Fudge has been put on a 4 week course of baytril due to a RI and ever since going on them I have found many puddles of pee on the floor, very orange in colour, is this something I should be concerned about? Its as if she can't be bothered to use the litter tray anymore and I find a puddle usually under the water bottle and beside the litter tray, but occassionally somewhere random like today at the other end of the shed!:? I know bunny pee can change in colour from creamy, yellow, orange to red but it seems its always a shade deeper. She seems well in herself, and has put on some more weight since her dental and is still as keen as ever to eat her food.

Also I've been given tablets for her to take and been grinding them down and mixing them in with a wee bit of fruit as its the only way I can get them into her, the vet said this was fine, but just want to re-check if this is okay??? Shes getting a check up on tuesday and I'm hoping the vet will hear an improvement in her chest but wouldn't be surprised if shes given more as her breathing is still slightly laboured!:(

Last edited:
Awww bless her I am not sure but their urine can change colour very easily from foods so I would imagine anitbiotics could have a bearing on the colour of her pee? :?

Thanks hun, at least someone replied!:? The vet did mention it can change their pee but was just wanting to make sure, although yesterday she did a clearish yellowish pee and started drinking it....can ANYONE tell me if this is something I should be concerned about?:?

I have notice baytril change the overall color of bunny poos. They also change the color of urine w/ all my buns, but it didn't change to orange. It changes to a lighter color.

But since baytril definitely changes color, there is no reason to believe that the color my bun's urine changes to is the only color. Bunnies like human are all different, so they can react differently, as such, it can be a darker color.

Thanks for moving it!:wave:

I am so confused with Fudge, she seems to think the shed is her urinal, she just raises her tail and pees creating a flood, usually when shes eating....why on earth has she started this!!! I'm now spending about 20mins a day moping up urine on the shed floor and it can't be healthy for either bun as I'm having to use disinfectant to clean the area and both the amonia and chemical fumes can't be good!:? At least when she pees in the litter tray the carefresh and newspaper absorbs it.

After she had her last GA I cleaned out the shed really well as the hay bale we think caused her RI, so it had to go and the floor was cleaned down as there were a few pee stains even then....I guess that could it, but she still uses her litter tray as well, it only seems to happen if she can't be bothered to stop eating and hop to the litter tray, which has hay in it anyway!:? They occassionally stand in it too if I don't get there quick enough which isn't good for their little feet!:(

Back