• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried SICK! Winter has stasis I think!

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Went out to give the bunnies their breakfast this morning and Winter was not interested AT ALL which is SO unlike him. Picked him up and him tummy feels doughy (well i think it does) and so gave him some infacol although he didn't like that at all.

Put him back out with Alice to see if he would atleast eat some pellets but he just hid under the hutch and had his tummy pressed to the floor :cry: Then he sprawled himself out completely - he doesn't look well.

I have put Alice in the carrier cos she is a little madam to catch and have brought them into the kitchen ready for the trip to the vets. I phoned the main branch of my vets to see if my regular rabbit savvy vet was on today and thankfully she is in the other branch today which is literally 5 mins from me. Their phones don't swtich over until 8.30 though so I have to wait until then.

I am worried sick. I could hardly talk to my OH this morning because I am so worried about it him. He's now sat by the back door on the mat, tummy pressed into the floor stock still. Will put him in the carrier with Alice in a sec but I don't want her to trample him when he is feeling so poorly.

Please send vibes. I really don't want to lose this gorgeous little bunny :(

Ooo in addition the possible things I think could have caused it:

1) I gave them a grape each last night
2) I let Fia and Zion out in the garden and they did a massive wee by their hutch. Went out later when all put to bed to find fur everywhere so Alice and Winter had a bit of a todo last night probs because of that.

I'm so worried. Hurry up 8.30!!!

Awwww Shiv sorry Winter is poorly :cry:
I'd pop him on a heat pad if possible as if he has tummy pain he wont be able to maintain his body temperature.

Sending get well vibes and please let us know how he gets on at the Vets

Janex :)

Thanks Jane. I have put the snuggle safe in the microwave as I type this. Will put a towel round it as they destroyed the cover. He is in the carrier with Alice now so hopefully she is giving him some heat.

Urgh 17 mins!

Well vet won't be there until 9. Will leave here in about 15mins to make sure I am def there when she arrives so she can see him ASAP. I have popped him on the snuggle safe in the carrier and he seems ok although he is breathing rather quickly. He did feel cold when I put him on it so hopefully he is warming up now.

Will keep you posted.

Shiv

Ooo in addition the possible things I think could have caused it:

1) I gave them a grape each last night

do they eat grapes daily? I have stomachache due to grapes because of the nature of gas. So if I eat just a hand full, I have stomach ache for hours

you can gave all kinds of other fruit that has no gas contents

Nope I don't give grapes daily. It was a treat and they only had one each.

Well I am back from the vets and he is in stasis but in the early stages and the vet thinks I caught it early - phew.

She didn't want to keep him in as she says he would recover better at home.

It was situation 2) - he has a nip on his back which was obviously caused by Alice in the scuffle last night. It's only a small nip but probably brought on the stasis along with the stress of the scuffle. It's not bleeding or pussy or anything so will keep an eye on it.

He was given a dose of metaclop and some pain relief. Vet has given me another syringe of metaclop to give him after 5pm. I'm happy to do that. I have given them lots of hay and he's not interested yet. Going to get my next door neighbour to go and try them with some greens at lunch time.

I have done everything I can. I hope he will be almost back to his old self later on.

Thanks everyone.

Shiv

It sounds like he may have been stressed from his tussle last night - they can be so sensitive sometimes can't they!

My rabbits have the odd grape as a treat and I've never seen a problem, but I guess all buns are different!
I probably would put it on my banned list now though.

I hope he picks up soon - sounds like you've caught it at the right time

Well my little man is all back to normal :D

My neighbour text me at lunch time to say that he wolfed down the greens she hand fed him which was a great relief to me. Then got home and gave them a bit of parsley eat and he was eager as ever. Saw a nice load poos in the hay box too. I took him out and gave him his second metaclop injection and put him back in with some more scrummy oat hay.

Him and Alice are now sprawled out next to eachother in the run so it seems that all is forgotten :roll:

I am very happy he's well again, I was very much in a flap this morning. I am glad I know my bunnies so well! :)

Thanks for all the vibes sent - I think they really worked!

Back