• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT- Smokey is not eating, vibes needed and ideas why U/D vets opinion

FriskyClover

Warren Veteran
I'm having a very worrying 24 hours with Smokey.

Yesterday, she had a few mouthfuls of pellets at 3pm but by 3.30pm, she was looking hunched up and wouldn't eat. I gave her Infacol and very watery Recovery Formula, which usually sorts her out. However, there was no real improvement and because I had to go out later (I know, I shouldn't have but I had an important meeting), I booked her an appointment at the vets for 6pm.

At the vets Smokey was given painkillers and a gut stimulent, the vet said she was a bit bloated but not too bad. He also said she had some small spurs on her back teeth but that they were not pressing on her tongue/mouth and did not seem to be the cause of her discomfort. By 9.30pm, she was eating hay on her own and seemed brighter.

However, this morning I went to feed the rabbits at 6.30am and Smokey refused to eat anything and was lying in a corner. She keeps licking her lips but refuses to eat. She looks bloated to me and seems to be in pain. I'm going to give her some more Infacol and some watery Recovery Formula and then I'll have to take her back to the vets this morning.

Has anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening? Could she have picked up something in the garden? She does a lot of digging and nosing through the dirt. Could she have accidentally eatend some bird poo (a long shot but possible)?

Any ideas or vibes would be lovely.

Last edited:
awwww hun sending loads of vibes

my vet said theres so many reasons why rabbits stop eating that it impossible to really tell... when alvin goes the vets they check his temp to see if its possible an infection and feel about in his tummy to see if its a blockage.. other than that theyd need to do tests, he did also say stress can stop a bunny eating so maybe shes just feeling abit down

hope you get her eating again soon xxxx

Thank you for the vibes.

She does have a tendancy to have GI Stasis but it usually resolves itself fairly quickly after a bit of Infacol or occasionally a trip to the vet. This is the first time she's had a proper relapse:cry:.

silly girl trying to scare mommy :(:(

i really hope the vet gets her insides all moving again today xxx

I would not give her anything but water by mouth if she is bloated.
The fact she ate after pain relief and is now refusing food again and 'licking her lips' sounds as though she does have oral pain. Some Buns are very sensitive to the tiniest spur, others will carry on eating with spurs making huge sores in their cheeks/tongue.

Good luck at the Vets

Janex

Poor Smokey - so sorry to hear this. I agree about fluid only. I also use peppermint tea with Dusty (obviously cooled). Helps settle the tum if there is gas and discomfort, I think.

edit: I am not sure about the lip licking thing, as sometimes Dusty licks her lips when she seems to be fancying the idea of food but her tum hurts. Having said that, I've never seen a bun with dental problems. Depends on the bunny maybe.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the vibes.

Smokey is now nibbling bits of grass of her own accord and seems brighter in herself and less bloated. However, I am still going to take her to the vets today, probably around lunchtime, to see if we can get to the bottom of this problem because there is obviously something wrong somewhere.

what's the stasis of her stomach? Is the left side hard?

The left side is while your chest is touching her back, i.e., her left side.

If bloat is caused by food, that infacol and other treatment by your vet would work. If bloat is caused by foreign object, in which it doesn't sound like in this case, then it could get stuck in the intestine and surgery is needed.

Check her mouth, is there any blood come out?

if you suspect it's her teeth, you need to get a x-ray done to see what's happening (assuming the teeth is growing upwards from the inside)

If it is just molar then it's easy to remove

Once again, thank you for the vibes.

Smokey is now eating almost properly and seems a lot happier then she did this morning.

We went to the vets at lunchtime and saw a different vet. She was no longer bloated, although her stomach was a little tender. The vet checked her teeth and said that although they are a bit uneven, she didn't think they were the main cause. However, she said that if Smokey is not back to totally normal by the end of the weekend or that she has stasis again in the near future, then her teeth will need further investigation. We then had repeat gut motility injections and painkillers.

So, there we are at the moment. Hopefully, Smokey is on the mend.

Just caught up with this I'm glad Smokey is feeling better.Fingers crossed she keeps on improving

Back