• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny getting front teeth removed

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Hey my bunny Blackie is having to get his front teeth removed as they didnt sit properly and had to get them clipped every month and this stressed him out too much. My vet advised it would be much better if he had his teeth removed completely. He is going in tomorow and i am petrified for him. He has been neutered so has been under anesthetic before so he should be fine but will he be ok without his teeth??

Has anyone else had this done and has there bunny been fine eating and drinking? how long did it take them to return to normal and for there gums to heal?

Any help would be much apperciated as i am worried about my little boy, im scared its going to hurt him.

:(:(:(:cry::cry::cry:

Due to an ongoing problem with abcesses, our bun, Jessica had all of her front teeth removed and then later, all bottom teeth on the left hand side of her jaw.
She was on metacam pain relief for a couple of days but was wolfing food down straight away really and she managed without any major problems although we did tend to cut greens etc up a bit more for her than the other buns as she sometimes found it hard to get hold of some things with just "gums"
But yes, your bun should be fine....having a teeth out is a lot more common with buns than people think and its not such a no no as it was years ago.
Let us know how you get on x:love:

my french lop prerre has had 6 of his frint teeth removed under 2 seperate operations. from the first he recovered quickly but for about a week after would only eat his greens if they were finely grated and pellets when they had been soaked. the second operation really knocked for 6. it took him nearly a month to recover (though he has always been bad under GA..hence two seperate ops) pain relief is a essential.
i did find that after each operation he developed an infection at the site of removal which had to be drained and he was given antibiotics so keep a close eye on the gums.
good luck. im sure blackie will be fine.

my mums bun has no teeth at all and is just fine he has to have his veg peeled but other than that he is ok. He is a rescue bun and came with no teeth so dont know how he got on to start with sorry

Hey thanks for all the replies. Well he got on fine but hadnt eaten anything at all on friday or saturday but i noticed he has been picking at his food today. just hope he feels ok and is in no pain. Got metacam from my vet which i hope is working :roll: he isnt acting his normal self and a but scared. hope he returns to normal soon i miss my bunny kisses from him :D:)

Back