• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun not pooing

catatonic

New Kit
My rabbit went off her food just over a week ago. Since then we have syringe fed her on vegan baby food but the problem was that her back teeth were overgrown. She had an op on wednesday and all went fine however since last week her poo has been going smaller, fewer and harder and she hasnt really pooped since her op on wednesday. Shes now eating ok (although shes not touching her hay, just greens).Her tummy doesnt feel bloated and she appears to be hopping around quite happily. But my last bun went through the same thing and he died quite suddenly. Since them I am a bit more savvy as the vet didnt really deal with the problem and I dont want it happening again. So even though shes not really symptomatic of anything yet I thought I would try to prevent anything from deteriorating. So after reading I decided to get some infacol, bio lapis, science recovery and critical care formula. This was after suggesting this to my vet and they agreed but the vet didnt really give me much advice on how to use. My bun is quite small so am giving her 1ml of infacol at night. The bio lapis says 1 sachet a dey in 50 mls so am giving her 10 mls 5 times a day. Shes quite well hydrated. I was planning on giving her the science recovery until she starts on her hey and the critical care formula once a day. Do you think this should fend of any bloat or gut stasis? Im hoping she'll start pooing again soon. Anything else i can do to help things along? I rub her tummy as I am syringe feeding her. Any advice would be a great help as I dont get much from the vet.

Can you cut grass for her? Some rabbits who are reluctant to eat hay prefer it cut into smaller bits. Do you know whether she prefers the soft or the more stalky type of hay? Finely cut greens are all good. I would avoid fruit and veg which are high in sugar.

some buns will accept a softened science selective, what is good about SS is that if it is wettened with another water it is possible to syring that as well if required.

Hello,

Could you find a new vet? I know its not always easy but it sounds like your bun needs gut stimulants and pain killers. Did the vet do this? Its really really important if a bun stops pooing to get the to the vet straight away. Hope your bunny gets better soon. x

Back