• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Not Eating Post Spay - Help?!

CazScho

Mama Doe
Hi,
My 2 bunnies were in for a spay today and have come home.

One is eating when offered food, the other turns her face away.

How long before I need to start really worrying about the one that isn't eating and contact the vets??

I've tried hay, pellets, carrot, kale, parsley bell and banana, but she will touch nothing :( :( :(

I have no experience in this really (post op) not sure how quickly after they eat..

What time did they have the op and how long have they been home?

They had the op this morning, I called at 12.45 and they said they were waking up. I picked them up at 5 and the nurse said they had both eaten, but I've seen no sign of it since then.

She has just had a wee though, all over my knee :)

Do you have fibreplex to give her, if so I would try some of that and call the vets tomorrow for a series of metochlopride injections if she is still not eating, they should be given at 8 hourly intervals over a 24hr period. She may also need painkillers.
I would also try and temp her with favorite foods, mine will usually eat dandelion and grass.
Good luck, hope she eats soon.

ps, if you don't have fibreplex, try some biolapis as it will help support the gut bacteria until she starts eating.

Can you get to a supermarket and get some different types of herbs, kale, spring cabbage, carrot, grated carrot to tempt them.

Could you mix a bit of their pellets with some water to make a sloppy mix, some eat that (although mine won't)

One of mine does not eat until following morning, worries me sick! Just try and tempt with anything.

Hope they start to eat soon.

Some take longer than others, and for girlies its a bigger op.
Is she inside in the warm? are her ears warm or cold? Is she drinking OK?
Try offering some water at room temp, mabe with a splash of apple juice to tempt her.
It's really worrying when they don't eat, but some of mine have not eaten until 9pm in the evening post spay.
Dandelions are normally the one thing they can't resist.
Hope she eats soon - I guess you'll feel much better when she does!

Try everything you can think of to get her eating. Fresh grass worked on mine.

If she isn't eating by tomorrow call the vets.

She has eaten one tiny piece of kale and licked a banana!!

So far I have tried

hay
banana
kale
carrot
rose petal
dandelion leaf
grass
pellet

I will give her a few minutes peace and then try again.

She's in a cagey/run thing in the spare room which has litter tray full of hay in and also bottom half of carrier which has tea towels in which is where she is sitting. Her ears are coolish but not cold and she feels warm under her fur. She is not a very friendly bun and is behaving the same as normal otherwise (ie looking affronted no matter what I do!!)

Does she normall eat when you're close. It might be an idea to leave her alone with food if she doesn't. I know mine don't like to eat when scared (of me!)

She has eaten one tiny piece of kale and licked a banana!!

So far I have tried

hay
banana
kale
carrot
rose petal
dandelion leaf
grass
pellet

I will give her a few minutes peace and then try again.

She's in a cagey/run thing in the spare room which has litter tray full of hay in and also bottom half of carrier which has tea towels in which is where she is sitting. Her ears are coolish but not cold and she feels warm under her fur. She is not a very friendly bun and is behaving the same as normal otherwise (ie looking affronted no matter what I do!!)

That sounds fab :) sounds like it's safe she's eaten a little :D

She didn't look to be any better and some food had gone but I think it was Pickle as she was chomping away on some hay. I spemt the night in the spare room with them and they both moved around a bit. I separated them when I took my mum to the airport this morning and there no poos from Truffle and none of the stuff I had left her was touched. I've syringe fed warm water this morning (did some pellet paste last night) and am due at vets at 10.40. She'll swallow the water in her mouth but turns her face away when I offer food. I let her out again to be with Pickle as Pickle looks after her and now there are small poos with the normal ones.

Hopefully vet can sort her shortly. She's warm although her ears aren't as warm as Pickles.

Well we've been and she's had the gut stimulant and a painkiller. They also gave me some sachets to mix up and syringe feed every hour. She seemed to enjoy the 1st ml so I'm encourage by that but she is now sat in litter box looking unhappy and grinding teeth. I've given up on work today (though am still at the beck and call of the Blackberry) and Iain has just given me permission to bring them downstairs (OMG!! I can see house rabbits somewhere in the future!!) so I can keep a closer eye on them.
Just off to rebuild run now!!

Bless her, it sounds like she was in bit of pain then.
Hope the drugs kick in soon and get things moving

When I had my bun Pippa spayed she didn't eat at all on the day of the spay and struggled the day after. With hindsight I should have taken her back to the vets as you've done, but I didn't. I eventually tempted her to eat some grated carrot, then gradually mixed in a big of hay and a few pellets and she eventually ate. She was spayed on a Tuesday and didn't really get back to eating normally until Friday, as I remember. I'm sure yours will be fine, it is a major operation after all and we wouldn't spring back straight away :)

Hi,
My 2 bunnies were in for a spay today and have come home.

One is eating when offered food, the other turns her face away.

How long before I need to start really worrying about the one that isn't eating and contact the vets??

I've tried hay, pellets, carrot, kale, parsley bell and banana, but she will touch nothing :( :( :(

some takes 2 days full to recover. Just gives the one who's not eating, a lot of green and treats for the next 24 to 48 hr. You want to induce her diet

Back