• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbit homes/base

I think it is too small really,how about a dog crate?They have good ones on ebay,a 42 or 48 inch one and then you can put a second floor in

i would have to agree, a dog crate is much better value, and like jackie said you can make a second level type shelf or add a puppy pen with cable ties to make it larger and more fun! x

i think what ever cage you get a puppy pen added on will be great... i personally think even a dog crate is too small if the buns are locked in for more than a few hours at a time..... bigger the better :)

i think what ever cage you get a puppy pen added on will be great... i personally think even a dog crate is too small if the buns are locked in for more than a few hours at a time..... bigger the better :)

I totally agree, if it is just to be a base for a bun who has free range of the room of a large pen I think it's fine :D

I wouldn't keep a bun in a cage or dog crate for more than a couple of hours especially not overnight. When I was bonding my three I did and they hated it :lol:

I totally agree, if it is just to be a base for a bun who has free range of the room of a large pen I think it's fine :D

I wouldn't keep a bun in a cage or dog crate for more than a couple of hours especially not overnight. When I was bonding my three I did and they hated it :lol:

alvin has terrible cage issues, i dont think hed allow me to put him in a run in a garden either... spoiled little boy he is :roll:

altho when hes out he spends all his time under a sofa, which is actually smaller than a cage :lol::lol::lol:

Dog crates

I think it is too small really,how about a dog crate?They have good ones on ebay,a 42 or 48 inch one and then you can put a second floor in

I like the sound of this idea...does anyone have photos of their indoor bunny homes using dog crate? how do you put second floors in them?

alvin has terrible cage issues, i dont think hed allow me to put him in a run in a garden either... spoiled little boy he is :roll:

altho when hes out he spends all his time under a sofa, which is actually smaller than a cage :lol::lol::lol:

Ha ha my three are like that, they hate being caged so have a whole room to themselves but then squeeze into a tiny space :roll:

alvin and pearls locked up pad

P1010003-4.jpg

i dont have a floor built in but i did get a cat bed thing which pearl loves the top bit, forever find her asleep ontop :love::love:

P5060014.jpg

im soon going to get rid of the crate and double up two pens instead, easier for travelling as the crate is too heavy to move about...

Thea and bobbin has my fav indoor setup on this forum, its a normal cage with nic cubes as the run part... looks ace :)

Oh dear I've never seen a cage quite like that before :? The dimensions are 85cm at the longest point which wouldn't be big enough had it been a square but it's not even that as one corner is cut off.

I think that a base needs to be at least the length of three bunny hops for them to be able to have a half decent amount of excersize when they are kept in. So really you're looking at at least 4 ft (or 120cm)

That cage is very expensive too for the price :shock: I bought my Ferplast (140cm long) from zooplus http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/42416 - price 89...

...and have since attached a pack of NIC grids which can be bought from B&Q for 22 pounds to make a large run which the cage is always open to :)

2500096458_9d734da0cd.jpg

The great thing about these grids is that they are soooo versatile, you can build the bunny mansion to any shape that suits the room or the space available :)

Or scrap the cage completely and buy two boxes of grids for 45 pounds, bonus! ;) :lol:

ETA: Donna, just seen your mention :oops: :oops: :wave:

And this is what you get when you give your buns a room of their own to redecorate!

This is a 48 inch crate with a shelf. (Above is a nero 4 cage which was occupied by Guinness piggie when he was a batchelor!)

183-1.jpg

thanks for all your advice its really helpful and great to see all you're different bunny homes...i still can't make up my mind what to do...

are the B&Q grids easy to set up?

And this is what you get when you give your buns a room of their own to redecorate!

This is a 48 inch crate with a shelf. (Above is a nero 4 cage which was occupied by Guinness piggie when he was a batchelor!)

183-1.jpg

how do you put that shelf in? where did you get it from?

thanks for all your advice its really helpful and great to see all you're different bunny homes...i still can't make up my mind what to do...

are the B&Q grids easy to set up?

Yes, although a second pair of hands can be handy ;) They come with black clip connectors but I found using small cable ties easier, also means the cage can have curves on the connectors are rigid :)

Back