• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice!

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
aaargh we have mice!

yesterday when i went to put domino and pebbles back into their hutch i saw a mouse sitting in their food bowl, gathering up some pellets:shock: i tried to catch it but it ran away.

This morning i put my hand into our hay bag, and i had a handful in my hand, and as i went to fill the hayrack it jumped out myhand :shock:

we have been having prbs with fild mouses in the old animal shed eating food getting in cages!!!

but the cat is sorting them out you might have a clony under the shed floor or a colony somewhere my cats eating our problem :lol:

oh, sympathies! I think I brought mice into the house by keeping the hay in an outdoor store place and then bringing it in the house, I think the might were snuggled up in there!

Following up what Lotsofmoggies said about the humane traps I was going to say put peanuts in them, I do of cause mean the nuts and not the bunny :lol::lol::lol:

Do I remember you saying you have Lavender Lodges for the buns? If so, mice can get through the bars very easily, so perhaps you could nail some smaller mesh to the doors?

well peanut and jelly have a LL but there not in it at the moment, theyre indoors because peanut is sick.

Its domino and pebbles hutcht here getting into, but they have small sqaure mesh and i saw a mouse squeeze through that!!! :shock:

domino wasnt very impressed when he saw the mouse! he started stamping lol

I would say you'll need to find the nest so you can stop the prob once & for all, if you know anyone with a Terrier (Jack Russell's are one of the best) get them to bring there dog & let it have a good sniff about as it should find the nest:Dbut make sure the buns are locked away 1st:roll: I did'nt know we had either a mouse or a rat under our shed untill our Russell's started to try & dig under it, I then let them into the shed as thats where my birds roost to make sure it had'nt found it's way in

tbh its ni on impossible to get rid of them, we live in the country were surrounded by fields, the buns are right next to the workshops and there prob all under there

There are lots of things you can do to minimise the problem with mice. Store all food in tins, store all hay in containers or bins, all waste which is to be disposed off should be put into bins and not bin bags. Also feed minimal pellets, in that way the food is eaten quickly and there is nothing for them to eat. I haad a problem until about 18 months ago where we reguarly saw a mouse. Having trapped a few which were released a long way away we have not seen one now for a while after we have changed our storage and our disposal methods.

Back