• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat hamster food?

Stalvros

Warren Scout
Just bought this diet, very good for bunnies.
I mean, eversince i bought this brand, my bunnies hasnt been overeating, pees less and poo less as well i guess.

But yeah the package says for Hamsters and rabbits.
I dont get it. Sounds like they both eat the same thing?

Are they eating lots of hay? That should be the main part of their diet.

If it says it's ok for rabbits then I guess it doesn't have anything harmful to rabbits in it. I can't think that rabbits and hamsters share that much food however, so I don't think it will be ideal

How are little carpet and marble doing?

Last edited:
Hamsters are omnivores who live of seeds and insects, rabbits eat mainly grass.
I don't see how those two species can be properly fed on the same food.
In Norway you can buy food that apparently is a good full-feed for rabbits AND rodents..only it can cause diarrhea, overweight and sickness in rabbits :shock: and its one reason I don't always trust labels on pet food.

Hmm I see you are from Austraila, maybe checkout www.boingonline.com and see if they can recommend any good pelleted foods in your country.:)

Hamsters and rabbits have very, very different diets, rabbits are herbivores so need loads of fibre and little protein but hamsters are omniovores so need far less fibre and a good bit more protein. Rabbits really don't need anymore than 12% protein whereas hamsters around 20% which is a big difference so one or other isn't going to fair well on this diet, and my bet is the rabbit.

I wouldn't be too keen on it tbh, rabbits need a high fibre diet and aren't really seed and nut eaters like hamsters, so I can't see a food working that doesn't create problems for one of them.

Doing less poos is not really a good thing for rabbits, they need to keep their bowels moving so a steady stream of nice big round poos is best.

Are they eating lots of hay? That should be the main part of their diet.

If it says it's ok for rabbits then I guess it doesn't have anything harmful to rabbits in it. I can't think that rabbits and hamsters share that much food however, so I don't think it will be ideal

How are little carpet and marble doing?

hullow again timboh ^^
yeah, a LOT of hay!
like i think they eat 70% hay and 30% of this new palletes i bought~

Sigh im running out of hay as well~
At times i just wish i can plug out those grass and let them eat that instead -_-, but i heard its different~

Carpet and Marble's fine.
I was just looking at their old pictures, they've grown -_-.
Carpet pees WAY A LOT MORE then he used to~

Hmm I see you are from Austraila, maybe checkout www.boingonline.com and see if they can recommend any good pelleted foods in your country.:)

Hamsters and rabbits have very, very different diets, rabbits are herbivores so need loads of fibre and little protein but hamsters are omniovores so need far less fibre and a good bit more protein. Rabbits really don't need anymore than 12% protein whereas hamsters around 20% which is a big difference so one or other isn't going to fair well on this diet, and my bet is the rabbit.

Oh im in Singapore atm~
Was in Aussie XD

Good to hear it :)

Maybe we can see some new photos soon :D

As for grass, I don't know if you have different types of grass in singapore, but here in england common grass is perfect for rabbits to eat. You have to make sure it's not by a busy road and that it is not sprayed with chemicals however.

I grow some grass myself that is from Oat Grass and normal Lawn Grass Seeds for my rabbits to eat and they love it.

Also if you introduce something new into a rabbits diet you have to do it very slowly.

Back