• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets spaying rabbits

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
I was phoning around vets yesterday seeing who would neuter a Guinea Pig and I thought I'd ask how much they charge for a female rabbit. One I phoned had to look up the prices and ring me back (alarm bells already) when they did it turns out they don't actually neuter female rabbits because it is too risky! :shock: I thought all vets that can neuter rabbits would do both sexes. Anyone had a vets say the same to them?

I would say that is unusual, and definitely wouldn't get it done at a vets that doesn't do it routinely. All vets in my area routinely spey rabbits due to the cancer risk, and I've not heard of any advising against it. Definitely worth ringing round to find a more experienced/rabbit savvy vet.

I did a ring-round our local vets a while ago on behalf of the rescue I was fostering for. It was amazing the variety in prices and knowledge about rabbits :shock: From one receptionist who didn't seem to know that bunnies needed vaccinations or neutering ... to another who was EXTREMELY knowledgable and chatted confidently.

I suggest you keep phoning round til you find a practice that neuters rabbits regularly ... perhaps if you say more specifically where you are in Norfolk there is someone on here who can PM you a recommendation?

We use a vet for some castrations who doesn't spey..he used to but is nearing retirement and now chooses what he does..which is fair enough.:?
He does recommend having them done and gives out the name of two vets near him which do spey.
Always use a vet who doesn't have to look up prices :shock:

I think it's actually more responsible for them to say that they won't do females because clearly they don't have anyone who can do the operation safely. Some vets might say they will do it and let an inexperienced vet do the operation anyway.

Just to point out that wasn't my 'normal' vets, they do neuter both male and female rabbits. But as I was ringing around for the Guinea Pig I thought I'd ask for a price on a female rabbit too. I was just so shocked to hear somewhere that don't neuter female rabbits and she didn't offer any alternative vets or a better explanation than 'its too risky'. Needless to say it was a quick thank you and goodbye to them!

I know this is off topic a bit so sorry, but can someone tell me what the norm sort of price is to get a bunny neutered as i've been quoted £45 for a male & £55 for a female from one vet:roll:

Thats sounds ok to me, my Charlie cost more than 50 to neuter and he is boy. So 45 for male and 55 for female sounds about average to me. Expensive business removing bunny bits.

I paid about £60 per female but they were great and new just what to do with rabbits so I'm happy.

Back