• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs

Olibobs

Warren Scout
I have lots of slugs in the garden - and they are starting to get into the hutch at night (even though I put a cover over it at night :roll:).

I don't have an issue with them getting on the plants etc, I am a bit of a live and let live gal, until they start eating Fred's food :evil:

So how can I keep them away from the hutch and not put Fred into danger?

I was thinking pots of beer......(what a way to go!)

:wave:
Beer only works if you put a few pots right next to the hutch. I live in sunny:lol: Scotland and right now slugs are severly :censored: me off. I hate killing them with salt but it seems to be the only thing that really works.

Thanks everyone.

Hubby said salt but I wondered if some salt somehow managed to get in the hutch ........but if it works for you :p (please don't tell him salt was a good idea!)

And I would love ducks but we're not really set up for them x

Or you could get a hamster..my dear old Pepsi once found a slug on the lawn when wandering around..and he ate it :shock: Eeeew.

:wave:
It rains so much in Scotland that it washes away before Cookie comes out to play. I just buy tesco cheepo salt and use that.

just put a ring of salt around each leg on the ground at night, worked for us. The slugs couldnt get up the legs and into the hutch! If you dont have legs then i'm not really sure what to do - unless you stand the hutch on some bricks and put the salt around the bricks?

Is the hutch on legs? If it is what about putting some rough sand paper around the legs. Should stop the slugs and snails climbing up. I've been using egg shells around my veg plants, seems to be working so far. :)

slug-maze.jpg

Back