• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

transporting 2 bunnies

Lynseypvic

Young Bun
Hi

We are looking at rehoming a pair of bunnies and are buying bits and bobs in advance. I was just wondering what people do about transport carriers (to bring them home in/take the to the vets etc). Do you usually get them one each or a big one to share?

Also, can anyone recommend a vet in Derby?

Hi

We are looking at rehoming a pair of bunnies and are buying bits and bobs in advance. I was just wondering what people do about transport carriers (to bring them home in/take the to the vets etc). Do you usually get them one each or a big one to share?

Also, can anyone recommend a vet in Derby?

If they're not already bonded I would get two carriers (that's what I did with my pair) also easier when going to the vets as it can be fiddly/manic when you have two bunnies in the same carrier and you only want to get one out.

Any more questions are welcome, not sure about vets in Derby as I'm down south x x

My two travel together, but the carrier isn't extra big, as they slide around in one with lots of space, so they seem to prefer the smaller one. Also my little girl gets really car sick, so she likes her husbun to be close by to watch over her.

If your bunnies will be a bonded pair then I'd say it's really quite important that you take them everywhere together, always.

The most obvious time that they will travel will be to the vets. This can be very nerve jangling for bunnies at the best of times so it's better to keep a pair together for company and to give comfort and support, even if it's only one that needs to go - take both. When a bunny is poorly (except in particular circumstances) they will usually 'heal' better if they have their normal friend with them.

If one needs an op at the vet, then take both. Firstly, they will be less scared, but secondly, if you take one bunny from a bonded pair to the vets, that bun will come home smelling different and can very easily cause a bond to break down.

I would get one carrier that is big enough to take both bunnies side by side with some turnaround space and enough room for ears - particularly if they are uppy eared rabbits.

A top opening carrier is so much easier in my opinion. Most rabbits will hate being dragged out of the front door of a carrier and it's not the easiest thing to do. Taking a rabbit out of the top is much, much easier and less stressful for the bun.

What you don't want is a carrier that is so big that the bunnies can slide around when traveling. It needs to be big enough that they aren't crammed in, but not so big that they can get hurt if you stop quickly at traffic lights and slide across the floor.

If the bunnies your are adopting aren't bonded then you will need two carriers but the same guidelines would still apply.

Hope that helps a bit.:D

Helen

Thanks everyone

The bunnies we have visited are babies, so already bonded. They are pretty small at the moment (nearly ready to leave mum in a couple of weeks or so). mum is a Rex, so i guess they will be medium sized rabbits.
can anyone give an example of a good carrier, maybe with a photo or link?

I guess i may need to get a smaller one for them as babies and get a bigger one when fully grown, so they are not slipping around as babies.

I don't drive, so if i needed to get to the vets quick and hubby wasn't home, i would need to get a cab and take kids too, so it will be much easier to have the one carrier, so its good to know that it would be good for them.

Oh, what age do you get bunnies vaccinated and wormed? The email response from the rescue centre said the buns are already spayed, wormed and vaccinated. well i know they cannot be spayed at 5 weeks old, so i guess the other info may be incorrect too. I have emailed back and I am waiting to hear.

bws
Lynsey

Back