• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead but no mane?

chris123

New Kit
Hey

I got a black female Lionhead today but she does not appear to have any mane whatsoever. Is this common and can it grow later or will she have no mane forever now? She would be about 14 weeks now.

:wave:
Some lionheads don't have a mane. I've got a lionhead who only has a few tufty bits on his head and bum. He is also now double the size of his mum and dad! In a single litter you can get single or double manes or none at all. Female lionheads that have a mane often lose it when they reach sexual maturity.

No picture yet sorry. She's hiding.

I bought her to eventually pair up with a male mini-lop I have. I'm just having doubts she is a Lionhead due to her not having a mane and having slightly larger ears than I was expecting.

When i bought Toffee (sig) they said he was a lionhead but i think he has Angora in him, as he's extremely fluffy.. check out the mane on him :lol:
But yes, i've seen some that only have a tiny bit of mane

No picture yet sorry. She's hiding.

I bought her to eventually pair up with a male mini-lop I have. I'm just having doubts she is a Lionhead due to her not having a mane and having slightly larger ears than I was expecting.

Yes, lionheads do have smaller ears, but this is also due to the bototm bit being engulfed in fur :lol:

I have 2 lionhead crosses maisy has more of a mane than daisy does there pics are in my sig

I think it is a Lionhead. It has a pretty skinny head but i'll have a better look at the mane when she feels more happy to come out. Although on first glances her hair looked short all over with no longish bits at all.

I'll put pictures on tomorrow.

my rabbit angel is ashow bred lionhead (did not realise) and shes so fluffy and cute but only around the neck main the rest of her bosy is short fur apart form the tail :lol:

Lionheads are a fairly new breed, so although there are breed standards it is still a pretty hard breed to perfect. You can get lionheads in the same litter who may be single maned, double maned or have no mane at all! Maisy is a lionhead with a very small mane...virtually none! She was fluffy as a baby and had a full mane but lost it.

If you look in my sig you will see Phoebe who is what you would have called a 'show quality' lionhead (if her colouring had been correct). Teddy is a lionhead who is very wooly (like spiders Toffee) and Milly is a lionhead x cashmere. She came from a litter of rabbits who all looked like the average single maned lionhead, however she definitely appears to have cashmere in her, that probably came from the breeding process way back in her lineage.

There's a garden centre that sells "maneless lionheads" for £45 :roll:
Don't see why they call them lionheads if they don't have a lion mane.

My buns had big manes as babies, but lost most of it with age see..

0ad90c74.jpg

vihatue3weeksjuly017.jpg

My lionhead is double maned so is pretty fluffy all over. My OH's brother said I should of called him Gizmo as he looks like the thing in the gremlins. The cheek of some people!

Hi :wave:
I have 2 Lionhead crossed mini Lops.

They were both fluffy all over when I got them, but the bigger one has lost all his fluff off his back and has quite short hair. He still has the mane and skirt around his bottom,which I think will remain.

The smaller one (in the pictures below) Still has some of his fluff on his back as well as his mane and skirt.

I don't know if they will lose their mane as they get older, but it seems to be staying put for now.

100_2354.jpg

100_2355.jpg

I can't work out how to put a picture on yet. Although she only comes out of her hidey hole when no body is about her cage. Once someone goes near she disapears back in again. I'm just leaving her be at the minute. Once she starts staying out long enough to get a picture put on I will.

The aim is to bond her with our mini-lop and get her out in the bunny shed. So the big rabbit cage is only temporary.

I have part lionhead foster babies at the moment

IMG_3665.jpg

As you can see, they do have signs of mane, even though young. Only one doesn't have any mane at all....although he's got lionhead in him I would not describe him as a lionhead when we come to rehome him as he is blatently missing the most imprtant bit.....a lion head.

Back