• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit fur question

liss-25

New Kit
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this website....amazing i love it!

Alright...so to explain the situation quickly. I have a rabbit (Holland Lop) and a chinchilla.

I'm had tippy (rabbit) for 3 years now and i had Spunky (Chinchilla) for 1 year.

We've recently noticed that tippy is getting iritated skin from the chinchilla dust. It looks like tippy's skin itches and he tends to pull out his hair. In result he gets bald spots.

At the beginning the cages were one on top of the other, and now one are one each side of the room. It didn't do that much of a difference. We clean and vaccumm the house once or twice a week. It's not doing much of a diffence.

We both have a very very soft heart for little animals. We know that the answer is to get rid of the chinchilla ..but we simply won't ...you get attached.

The rabbit's diet consists of: "Little Friends" pellets, timothy hay..at least 2 full cups of veggies everyday..he doesn't drink any water. We think that is because he gets it from the veggies.

I think that's all.

Please please me find a solution for him to stop having bald spots

Thanks,

Lissa

Yes he could..but the thing is wherever the tippy goes...there still is some dust on the ground due to the fact that we take out spunky into his ball to roll around to have his daily exercice.

The other thing is ..that's the only place where he'll get some sunlight

Hi Lissa, welcome to RU.
Has Tippy been seen by your vet to confirm if it's the Chinchilla dust that is causing the problem? If not, might be worth taking him in for a check over in case there is another problem, such as mites.

MY GOD!!! such quick replies..Thank you so much

No Tippy hasn't seen our vet yet. We're trying to prevent that because it's extremely expensive. Is there any way for me to find out if he does have mites? How can he get into contact with mites?

Does Tippy have access to water in a bowl or just a bottle? I've never heard of a rabbit not drinking before... :?

Tippy does have access to a water bottle that is average size...Should I be concerned? He's been doing it for years. Whenever i go to clean his cage, he does pee plenty.

Tinsel,

We've tried to put a bowl of water right in front of his mouth. All he would do is brand it with his chin..LOL...does it with everything.

a dandruffy neck can be a sign of mites, as can the bald spots you speak of.

i'd really recommend seeing a vet, something like mites can really make them feel really miserable.

Tippy does have access to a water bottle that is average size...Should I be concerned? He's been doing it for years. Whenever i go to clean his cage, he does pee plenty.

he might be a shy buny that likes to do his drinking at night maybe? hence why why you don't actually see him drink? just a thought x

I always check and clean his water bottle just in case. BUt the water level doesn't move and there isnt any leaks with the bottle

Thank you so much everyone to help me figure out what's wrong with my little guy Tippy.

I have made an appointment with the vet on tuesday the 22nd! I will let you know the status of Tippy's problem

Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

Tippy's vet appointment was yesterday. They did a skin test. During this test they scratch the skin until it bleeds to rule out parasites or whatnot.

The test did come back with Rabbit Mites. The vet gave Tippy a topical treatment called Revolution. It a treatment that you do once twice. Once right away and the other 2 weeks after.

The vet also recommended us to buy Benedryl to give to Tippy. The reason is the mites release a chemical ( i dont remember the term) which makes the skin even itchier. The amount given of benedryl depends on the weight of the rabbit.

I just want to thank everyone for such quick responses. I'm happy that we've found the problem. Now it's just to continue giving him the benedryl and going for his last treatment.

Thanks again,

KEEP RABBIT UNITED ALIVE!!!!!! :)

Back