• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Very Busy day U/D Flint has a tumour

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
This morning I took Hector the vets for his dental, luckily he came through it ok and I have just collected him :)

At mid-day another vet came to do 22 VHD vaccinations and 1 myxi vacc. All the other bunnies also had check ups.

Fern who has problems eating is now thought to have arthritis in her jaw so she is staying on pain relief for now without further tests.

Flint, my rex, who has had repeated episodes of stasis was very uncomfortable around his kidneys despite high doses of pain relief so needs further tests.

Prudence who has also been deteriorating since having the cyst removed from her neck despite pain relief, was too ill to have her VHD. The vet could also feel abnormalities in her liver that were not there a month ago :( so also needs further tests.

Bruce needs his tear ducts draining again.

Evie was too ill for VHD as she has an active e. cuniculi infection. We are also battling ear mites with her so need further treatment for that.

Meredith and Bertie both need to start precationary panacur as one of them is drinking far too much. Once I can find out who it is ( i've been spying on them all week but still don't know) they need to go for blood tests.

Finally, Hamish needs a dental in a couple of weeks.

So now both Prudence and Flint are booked in tomorrow for x rays and blood tests. I don't think it will be good news but I will feel happier just to have some answers.

Bruce is also booked in next week for his tear ducts and Hamish the week after for his dental :shock:

So it has been a rather busy and worrying day and I don't think tomorrow will be much better :(

Last edited:
Why does everything always seem to happen at once :( :?

I've had an emergency trip to the vets today...the one day when I've got an important training event and I'm due to work late...perfect timing :roll:

This morning I took Hector the vets for his dental, luckily he came through it ok and I have just collected him :)

At mid-day another vet came to do 22 VHD vaccinations and 1 myxi vacc. All the other bunnies also had check ups.

Fern who has problems eating is now thought to have arthritis in her jaw so she is staying on pain relief for now without further tests.

Flint, my rex, who has had repeated episodes of stasis was very uncomfortable around his kidneys despite high doses of pain relief so needs further tests.

Prudence who has also been deteriorating since having the cyst removed from her neck despite pain relief, was too ill to have her VHD. The vet could also feel abnormalities in her liver that were not there a month ago :( so also needs further tests.

Bruce needs his tear ducts draining again.

Evie was too ill for VHD as she has an active e. cuniculi infection. We are also battling ear mites with her so need further treatment for that.

Meredith and Bertie both need to start precationary panacur as one of them is drinking far too much. Once I can find out who it is ( i've been spying on them all week but still don't know) they need to go for blood tests.

Finally, Hamish needs a dental in a couple of weeks.

So now both Prudence and Flint are booked in tomorrow for x rays and blood tests. I don't think it will be good news but I will feel happier just to have some answers.

Bruce is also booked in next week for his tear ducts and Hamish the week after for his dental :shock:

So it has been a rather busy and worrying day and I don't think tomorrow will be much better :(

Boomin 'eck, I get days like that too!,

Just found out that Flint has a tumour in his abdomen :cry:, I was so shocked I forgot to ask any questions about pain relief. I thought it was Prudence that was going to have the tumour.

So far x rays have not shown any abnormalities with Prudence so she is having further blood tests. I should hear something later today so will ask about Flint's future then too.

Last edited:
Oh Liz, I am so sorry, what's the prognosis?, if you need me you know where I am, sending you big hugs

If it were cancer, I would use blackberries and Heal X as anti-toxic treatment. w/ Goofball, I used 6 to 12 oz. per day, for 9 to 10 mth., after that, all signs of her bone cancer were gone, no more pain. I posted a detail thread at the Care section if you want, you can search under her name

I am sorry to hear about Flint :cry:
Did the Vet say where the tumour was ? Is it causing him any symptoms ?

*If* it is a cancer then a corticosteroid may perhaps help slow down the rate of growth of the mass and abx could be given to cover any secondary bacterial infection due to the steroids negative effect on the immune system

:?

Janex

I have spoken to the vet again, but didn't get many answers. Apparently the tumor is difficult to see on the xrays but that coupled with the pain he is in when she presses the area leads to the conclusion that there is a tumour in his abdomen.

He has had recurrent episodes of stasis for around 18 months and now isn't that interested in food at all. He is still active and a good weight ( which I don't understand given how fussy he has got with food). I did ask for abdominal xrays around a year ago but nothing showed up.

I have asked about treatment including pain relief and I was just told to increase his metacam dose :? And thats all thats been said, I thought there would have been more that we could do.

Had Prudence's bloods back and they were all clear. So again I do not know what is going on with her, I so wanted some answers. She does not function without pain relief so there has got to be something wrong somewhere. I don't know where to go with this now.

I thought today would be the day that I got all the answers and I would be able to get the bunnies some proper treatment but now I feel more frustrated than ever:(

I
I have asked about treatment including pain relief and I was just told to increase his metacam dose :? And thats all thats been said, I thought there would have been more that we could do.

that's exactly what those vets said to me as well. And at the time, I thought I have nothing to lose but to use blackberry as treatment, because another member posted a link a few yr. back on this place called berryland.

In the end, Goofball gained wt. from 5 KG to 7.1KG (she was 6 Kg before the leg was removed) after the cancer become dormant or gone

I've just spoken to the vet again as i wasn't happy with the information I had.

If only my brain worked properly I might have thought of all the right qusestions at the start :roll:

Basically, Adele doesn't think the tumour is necessarily cancerous, because if it was she would expect him to be loosing weight and condition which he isn't.
The main area of concern is it's positioning which is next to his intestines. As it grows it will push on them causing a blockage of his guts :(.She is also concerned about the level of pain it is causing him already as some tumours can be present for sometime without causing any pain.

I asked about surgery as an option at some point. Adele thinks it could be an option at a later stage but could not guarentee what she what she would find or what the outcome would be.

My thinking now is, that I will continue with pain relief until he has another bout of stasis. If that is not treated successfully here then he will go to the vets for treatment and another conscious x ray to see if the tumour has pushed against his intestines. If it has I will consider surgery as a last resort.

If anyone else has any other surggestions I would love to hear them :)

Back