• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Agouti up-eared buns...are they more robust?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
It just occurred to me I've never known a fragile or generally sickly agouti coloured, short haired, up-ear rabbit.

Could this be because they are closer to the wild 'ideal' or is it just coincidence?

I have no idea, but it would certainly make sense to me. Evolution has had an awfully long time to get a good rabbit.

Would be interested in any real figures on this.

I know with rats that agouti top ears are considered the 'strongest' of varieties, and in chinchilla breeding they'll often breed the rare colours back to the standard grey rather than rare to rare, as it can 'weaken' the babies otherwise (know that's more visually though - eye size, quality of coat etc, not sure about health)
I think the more recessive genes are bred from, the more likely recessive health conditions are likely to be inherited

my agouti uppy eared was a sickly little mite only lived to about 9 1/2 weeks :( although he had stasis so not sure it 'counts'

I think also that when breeding for a specific colour, health may be put at a lower priority than 'prettyness' by irresponsible breeders.
Don't (most, if not all?) lops have the shorter faces too? Like Nethies - so the jaw is more squished up and hence more teeth/eye problems. With all these new breeds developed, we've (general we!) bred for one feature and inadvertently bred a mainly breed-specific 'defect' in - like dental problems in those with shorter faces, sore hocks and heart problems in rexes (perhaps naughtiness in tan and whites? :lol: :lol:). Agouti uppy ears are the least 'tampered' with, thus healthier

Last edited:
I think a lot of rabbits revert back to the 'ideal' in a way. If you look at the very mixed rabbits, with undefinable breeds in them they generally look like the bog standard rabbit, uppy ears, pointed face etc. So maybe it is natures way of getting back to what works?

I think a lot of rabbits revert back to the 'ideal' in a way. If you look at the very mixed rabbits, with undefinable breeds in them they generally look like the bog standard rabbit, uppy ears, pointed face etc. So maybe it is natures way of getting back to what works?

I have often thought that too.

I have a cross wild bun, her mum was a black and white cross dwarf lop. She looks just like a wild rabbit though, and doesn't seem to have any of her mum's characteristics. She is alot faster and more agile than my other buns, and has not had any health problems at all, but she is only 1 so is still young.

I don't know if its the case but I would guess its the case that as everyone has already said, nature has developed the agouti uppy for a reason...they are very pretty too...makes you wonder why we felt the urge to mess.

Not sure if my input will help at all because none of mine have ever been very ill, but my uppy eared agouti Trip is my only bun that I have never worried about or had to keep an eye on thinking about it now :shock:

I hadnt even thought about it until I read this thread, but there have been times where I had to watch the other three closely because they havent seemed themselves and luckily nothing came of it but ive never had that feeling with my little Tripper and he is nearly four now :) x

The up eared Agouti i had years ago, lived till he got to 5yrs old. He had Netherland Drawf in him, but looked so like a wild rabbit. If a cat came in the garden, he used to bomb in the house, hide round the settee, and thump like made to tell me. His name was Thumper, but we called him BoBo. :love: An attitude rabbit. :D

Interesting thread - I was just saying this to someone the other day.

My Damson (actually sideways stuck out ears - agouti) is a tough little soul. He is extraordinary fit and muscular. leaps huge heights and fights rabbits much much bigger than him - and wins! He has had nodular myxi, EC, and started life as a rescue bun - and is amazing and fit and tough. He is 7 now.

His sister alas, (one up one down agouti) died last year of EC related pneumonie after renal failure led to severe weight etc loss. But until that she had never had a days illness in her life.

I do think agouti up ears are generally very healthy - I have two other agoutis here as well at present - they are sort of sideways ears (not quite as helicopter as damsn). Again, despite being rescue from a bad situation thay are very healthy.

Back