• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible E.C

lisa102

Young Bun
I took Grumpy to vets yesterday as he hasn't been well he's drinking two bottles of water a day, stopped using his litter tray and is weeing alot. He was also dragging his back legs and keeps falling over. Vet did 2 blood tests and show he has got kidney damage she said a normal reading is 159 and his was 200 which didnt mean much to me. She has prescribed Baytrill and Panacur and i've got to go back in 10 days but she said the damage is already done so probably won't improve and suspects it is E.C.

Just wondered if anyone knows how long a rabbit can survive with E.C./kidney damage I was too upset to ask the vet yesterday? :cry:

Sorry to hear your news, no idea I guess it depends on the individual rabbits but I think its down to the quality of life for the rabbit as well. Hope things do improve for you.

Well sootys had it (pretty much same symptoms as you but no loss of rear limbs) for about a year now. I wormed him )and his partner) for 30 days the first time with panacur, a 9 day course about 3 months after that when we introduced a new bunny and another 30 day 3 months after that when he started peeing a little again. I'll basically stick to the 9 days every 3-4 months unless he shows symptoms again.

The bladder problems have cleared up completely (but his may have been less severe) & you may see some small improvement on the leg dragging too. I think you can get steroids that may help to build up his muscles again too.

As long as you keep on top of it and worm often there is no reason why he shouldn't live a lot longer...although that depends on the amount of present kidney damage & if the extended course knocks the EC on the head.

also if you can keep going with the baytril & panacur combo.....Some studies seem to show that baytril makes the panacur more effective and it certainly partly reduced the symptoms when sooty first got it and was being treated for a bladder infection.

As above really - but my own experience suggests that if treated with panacur they can ofetn get remission for many years.

One of my rabbits was very ill with it, he was not blood tested because he was very weak and anaemic but the vet said all his symptoms pointed to kidney failure and possible EC and that he would probably not improve. He was treated with a course of panacur, septrin, and fortekor tablets to take some pressure off his kidneys. I saw an improvement within the first 2 weeks and he continued to improve until he was back to his normal self :D he still drinks more water and pees more than he did before but he uses his litter tray and is much stronger and happier. It has been 5 months since he was ill and he is doing really well :).

Thank you everyone for putting my mind at rest he looks so fed up at the moment he hates being given the baytrill but hopefully soon there'll be some improvement.

My wee Kermit probably had/has EC, a few months back when he first fell ill he had severe head tilt and couldnt even walk, drink or eat himself.....he is now getting back to near normality one teeny tiny step at a time, so stick in there, it can be tough, but its just great when you see them improving.....

Hope your wee baby gets through this :)

Tango had suspected EC a year ago. He was given the same treatment as you. I now just have to give him panacur every 4ish months. Tango will usually let me know when he is due it. Starts drinking more and will leave me little puddles.
He is on panacur now.

Back