• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bringing a timid bunny round

HelB

Warren Scout
Hi
I have a new bunny who is quite timid (she's about 3 and from the rescue), she grunts a little bit and trys to get out of being stroked. I am trying to leave her to settle down with my other rabbit and they are getting on well (plenty of grooming) but would like some hints and tips on how to bring her round. I read that rabbits learn by example so hopefully she's going to see that my other rabbit enjoys it and decides she wants in on the action!

I am already trying to associate being stroked with being given a little treat and so far its not really working, although it has only been a day and i've only tried twice! (I dont want to bother her) I am also trying to associate the food bowl being shaken on a morning with getting something good! Any ideas?

Also, what good books out there for me to read up on?

i think youve got the idea ;)

it took Toyah a couple of weeks to get used to us when she first arrived ... we tend to use the ... you cant get away from me approach ... she would get stroked like it or not ... but for the first week or so i would keep it short and always treat afterwards .

i used a pet carrier to transport her to and from run at first so as not to stress her too much .. but she then got so that sometimes she would let me pick her up instead .

the slow , gentle but firm approach usualy works for us ... and dont be scared off by her grunts and growls ... shes never bitten any one while here...its all show.

im pleased to hear they are getting on well and i do hope she comes around to you ...

Angie xx

I love a challenging bun!!

I think you've got the right approach of little and often, and having contact with her when she is getting food so she associates touch with something nice.

Try not to let her feel your anxiety or apprehension - I agree with Bunnymadhouse that firm but gentle is the way to go. Rabbits seem to pick up on our vibes so easily, and if we feel hesitant about touching or picking them up, they seem to get jittery.

I'd do lots of stroking whilst she's feeling safe in her hutch, and give her a treat if she is likely to be grumpy - it won't take long for the fuss=food association to click.
When you start to handle her keep it short and sweet. Pick her up and hold her firmly, and fuss her for maybe 30 secs and put her back and leave her. Do it several times a day, and start to increase the time you hold her.

Some are harder than others, so patience and persistence - you'll get there.

Is her partner a friendly bun, as that can also make a big difference.

My rabbit is exactly the same, when i first got him i tried to just leave him to get used to his new environment, obviously stroking him and trying to handle for a little time, trying to get him used to being held. But he seems to really jitter and sometimes throws himself from my hands, ive done all i can, shall i start the stroke then treat as i havent tried that yet, or have i left it to long for him to start recognising this?

It's never too late, but obviously rabbits have different personalities, and some traits you just have to accept.
I have two girlies that really don't like being handled, and only come to me for food, so I respect the fact that they don't want to be cuddled, but they do have to have a stroke if they want the treat, and they have to accept that they will be picked up (for checks) from time to time.

If the rabbit can get out of your hands then you need to firm and decisive in your handling so that the rabbit feels secure when you're holding it.

I appreciate all your advice, I know its going to take some time but I am determined to get her to come out of her shell. All advice would be greatly recieved and noted.

There has been no grunting at all today so am so pleased! I havent tried to pick her up yet though I let her go inside her carrier herself, I took her for her mixi jab today because I didnt want to wait, get far with her and then spook her out by taking her to the vets and make her go back inside herself (if that makes any sense). Also her health and jabs are really important. She did really really well and even laid down on the table when I cuddled her while he did the jab. She had plenty of strokes afterwards and a bit of carrot. Already tonight she has stopped for a stroke when i went out to check her and even came back to the front of the cage when I closed the door as if to ask for more so the vets must not have bothered her that much! She's a star and is settling so well with Rory. I do hope it carries on!

Back