• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange noise and behaviour since neutering**UPDATE**

MartinR

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone..

I was wondering if anyone here may of experienced something similar, a couple of weeks ago our bun was neuterd and it all went well, he bounced back real quick, and we took him for his post op check and the vet said everything was fine, and he was a healthy bun.

Hes been much less aggressive and overall more chilled out since, but the last couple of days hes started sitting in the loaf shape (not hunched) and sort of making a grunt/clucking sound and he flips his head back as he does it.. I would say its almost like a mating call but as far as I know they dont really have a mating call, so Im confused.. he doesnt do it all the time but quite often will sit there and flipping his head back making this strange sound until I go over..

When i go over to him he relaxes and settles down for a petting and starts twittering and purring, he doesnt appear to be any pain, his poo is normal, he's eating, drinking, chewing and still getting into mischeif as usual and otherwise seems fine, but im just worried about this new behaviour and can't seem to find anything on the net which explains it..

I remember the very first night we got him he tried to go up the stairs and sort of got stuck half way down the stairs, when we heard a similar noise like he was calling out cuz he was stuck..

But I'm not sure why he would just suddenly start doing this now..

I wonder if anyone has seen this? if you need any more information just let me know, and thanks in advance..

Martin

Last edited:
Hi Animal Ry..

Thanks for your speedy reply!..

can you pm me or give us a clue, is it a good thing or a bad thing?, that's kind of a scary answer sort of thing..:(

If hes in any kind of trouble the more info the better so I can help him..

thanks

Martin

I'm concerned he could have hurt himself on the stairs? Rabbits are quiet animals by nature, as they are "prey" animals they don't show when they are in pain as much as other animals.

I would get him checked at the vets asap just to be on the safe side. If there's any unusual/unexplicable behaviour it's important you get it checked out.

Don't feel bad for it if it is this, at least you sought for help x x

Hi Anna,

Thanks!..:)

I'm not sure If I explained properly when he got stuck on the stairs was about 4 months ago when we first got him , but a couple of days after that he learnt how to use them and now he speeds up and down them, (this was before his neuter when he got stuck) and hes been the vets a couple of times since then..

This behaviour only really seemed to of started the last few days..

Hope that clears things up a bit, if thats what you thought, unless you mean he may of hurt himself recently. but hes jumping on the couch etc, and still climbin on stuff...

M

Hi Anna,

Thanks!..:)

I'm not sure If I explained properly when he got stuck on the stairs was about 4 months ago when we first got him , but a couple of days after that he learnt how to use them and now he speeds up and down them, (this was before his neuter when he got stuck) and hes been the vets a couple of times since then..

This behaviour only really seemed to of started the last few days..

Hope that clears things up a bit, if thats what you thought, unless you mean he may of hurt himself recently. but hes jumping on the couch etc, and still climbin on stuff...

M

Oh, that's fine, I wasn't trying to assume anything x

Sounds a little "out of my league" :lol: - I would have thought it was hormones but as you say he's been neutered.

I would take him to the vets still as this sounds unusual to me x

Hi Anna,

I think it was me, I tend to write in a rather confusing manner lol..

He's always been a sort of odd character and at times quite vocal, he's still honking when he chases a teddy etc, even after his neuter.. It's only been two weeks since though so maybe theres still testerone in his system, Thanks to Animal Ry's suggestion I just checked his parts and all seems well down there.. its just baffling why he would start doing this, I was just talking with my gf and I think we will maybe get him checked out just in case.. I just hate scaring him by taking him to the vets, but I want him to be healthy as can be and happy!..

Im gonna keep a very close eye on him too, hes flat out on the floor at the moment in front of the telly..

:)

M

Hi

its strange he seems his normal self, just this occasional behaviour which I havn't seen before, I know they can go through behavoural changes after neutering but I've never had a house bunny before so Im not sure what to expect etc, or look out for...

I will keep you posted, and everyone.....

thanks!...

Hiya :wave:

Ah - only two weeks since neuter - very likely that he's still hormonal, can take weeks for it to "get out of his system"

Hope all goes well, let us know how it goes :D

Update*

Hi Everyone,:wave:

Well, I was watching snuggles closey and he just didn't seem himself, so I took him to the vets,

she listened to his chest and said it's slightly noisy, also his temp was slightly elevated, and she thinks the head jerk thing was him trying to clear his nose.

So, she gave us some Baytril and said to put 0.4ml in his water each day..

Well, here is the next hurdle..

I put it in his water and he wouldn't touch it, I put some on his food and he wouldn't touch it, I tried it on apple, carrot, fruit, yoghurt etc etc and he won't go near it, it's like he can smell it a mile off and just pushes or throws the bowl out of the way..

We tried to wrap him in a towel and he was squirming squealing and completely freaking him out, and his heart was racing so I stopped because I was worried about over stressing him, especially as that's the last thing he needs... and the vet said if we shringe administer it to do it in 2 doses each day... the thought of going through that twice a day for a week is unbearable. for him and for me..

Sooo.. I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas how on earth I can get the meds into my bun?...I really want him to start on the baytril but administering it to him is proving way more of a challenge than I could of ever expected and I just not sure what else to try. Any tips would be greatly appreciated..

Many Thanks

Martin

tbh I'd take him back to the vet and see if they can show you how to syringe the meds or suggest an alternative. We had much the same problem with ours but we had to just grit our teeth so that once he realised he was not going anywhere then he settled down. The trick with us was to find the gap between the front teeth and the molars and put a small syringe (1ml) in the gap and just give it him gently.

You never said in your post, but did the vet give you anything to replace the good bacteria in his stomach ? buns on antibiotics need this as well.

Just a thought, where do you get your hay? our vet suggested we change to dust free hay (from farm hay) and our bun has settled down a lot.

Hi Joey:)

Thanks!...

Yea, I think she mixed the stuff for his tummy in with the baytril, and she was gonna give us something else to put on his food that's like a decongestant but they never had any in stock so I have to go and collect it on monday..

I just cringe at the thought of putting him through all that trauma, I know it's only shringe feeding but you would think we were about to torture him or something.

That's not a bad idea getting the vet to show us, I was thinking of phoning them too and seeing if maybe he could just have a jab sort of thing that would last a week or so, at least that way I know he definitaly is getting the medication

So far we've tried various hays, but he seems to always want fresh and wastes and awful lot.. I havn't tried timothy hay yet because no one sells it here, but I am going to order some online and try him on that.

He does eat dandilions and I was just thinking I havn't tried mixing his meds with that yet so Im going out to collect some today and give that a try, its just all this trying is using up his meds so looks like I will have to get some more on monday, but its expensive..

I will keep you posted!. that's a great idea will try and get hold of the vet later.

M

Well, I tried spinnach, mixed and mash veggies, jam and bread, dandilions, he just wont eat anything with that bytril on it.. why the :censored: can't they make a version of it that isnt liver flavoured?....... that's just crazy!.

In the end i mixed some up with banana puree and squirted it on his back leg, then he sat there and washed it/licked it off, but I don't know how effective this is, as no one seems to of mentioned it in all the troubles they had giving baytril to their buns..?

I'm all out of options except back the vets on monday and see if they have some kind of slow release injection version... sigh!......

Thanks..

Martin

I have a neutered male (2 years ago) and occasionally he makes a strange noise, the best description is that it almost sounds like a quack. I thought at first he was coughing. I took him to the vet to be checked and nothing showed up, they said it was just a little quirky behaviour.

He doesn't do it often, and I don't worry now because it first happened ages ago.

I have never had liver flavoured baytril before :shock:. It is always plain and unflavoured, although it still tastes yucky for them it is not as bad as liver.

You could ask the vet to try septrin pediatric syrup, my vet usually prescribes this for a respiritory infection anyway. It is banana flavour and most of the buns I have given it to love it :D.

Our vet showed us how to inject Baytril and that way you can be sure your bun is getting the correct dose (we had same problem as you!). Some vets will not do this though, alternative is to take him to vet for daily injection if it is not too far away.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Back