• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have a picture of how a rabbit sees?

senatorvass

Warren Scout
My husband and I are talking and you know, rabbits have eyes either side of their head not 2 looking straight ahead like humans and most animals. So I was wondering - is there a website that shows a picture of the world from a rabbits perspective?? You can work out how flies see so perhaps someone has done it with rabbits???

I don't know if it could be done because apparently they see nearly 360 degrees? Would be sort of like a panoramic photo I guess, but they're meant to have blind spots at the front

they have a 10 degree blind spot in front of their noses which is why they don't like being touched about the nose. they see straight up and really far round the back of the head.... i'm sure i found a pic *runs off to google*

Given that rabbits see near 360 degrees, it is difficult to project such a view in a way that we would understand, however I knocked up this which maybe will give you an idea. :?

rabbitview.jpg

We talked about this at school once.
Prey animals such as rabbits, rodents and cattle and such have eyes on their sides so they can keep a better eye on their surroundings. They also have a blind spot right in front of them, I guess its because if there's a predator on your nose you'd probably be dead anyway.:lol:

Predators on the other hands have the eyes on the front of their heads so they can focus on their prey right in front of them. (Ever seen a wolf charge sideways?:p)

thanks all for the replies! Jeremy, that picture you did is great! Thanks! I am reading your website now it looks really good & informative. :)

Predators on the other hands have the eyes on the front of their heads so they can focus on their prey right in front of them. (Ever seen a wolf charge sideways?:p)
Just to clarify slightly, I would say front eyes on a predator are more to do with distance perception. You need binocular (stereo) vision to judge distances properly, so both eyes must be pointing in the same direction. :)

Glad the piccy helped senatorvass. :thumb:

This thread got me thinking: does rabbit see in color like we do?

Because I read somewhere (many yr. ago) that dogs do not see color like we do. So in their world, everything is gray scale. To them, it's like watching a B&W TV.

This thread got me thinking: does rabbit see in color like we do?

Because I read somewhere (many yr. ago) that dogs do not see color like we do. So in their world, everything is gray scale. To them, it's like watching a B&W TV.

The article Laura linked to states that it's probable that rabbits cannot see red wavelengths - they only have 2 types of rod in the eye as opposed to 3.

So some colour would be evident. but not as much as we can see.

I want to understand how the red wavelength works -- so if a bun can't see red, and saw you are holding an apple in front of him -- what does he see? Something totally transparent?

btw dogs can see partial colour just not as saturated as we can they tend to have difficulty distinguishing red from green and i believe see yellow and blue best

hope you dont mind jeremy just tried a bit of tweaking with your pic. lower the saturation and decreased the red in the image

my attept anyway * only from what i have read in lamemans terms dont really understan it all tbh)

bunnyview.jpg

Given that rabbits see near 360 degrees, it is difficult to project such a view in a way that we would understand, however I knocked up this which maybe will give you an idea. :?

rabbitview.jpg

was this on your website? the pic that i saw was alot like this, maybe it was the one i was thinking of.

Back