• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They have arrived!! Advice on sexing needed

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
The rabbit and Guinea Pig have arrived tonight!! They are in the dog crate for now as the hutch they came with was vile. They were one of those poor animals that had to sit in their own poo and the floor had gone rotten from wee. There was no sign of ANY bedding. Poor things. :(

002-10.jpg

004-10.jpg

005-10.jpg

The hutch (top) is going to be re-floored but the bottom half is going for fire wood.

From what I have looked at I'm pretty sure the piggie is male but I'm really not sure about the bunny. How obvious are adult boys plums? When I had a quick feel it felt like nothing was there but I know they can hide them under stress, just how well?

Sorry can't help you with sexing them, but just wanted to say they are cute!

Are they staying together? And is the dog crate outside?

Hiya :wave:

Fab pair! I bet they're enjoying their new home :D

Never sexed a bun although there are pics on the internet. It may be harder to "feel" whether it's a boy/girl but you can try holding him with his bum on the floor, back upright facing away from you (may have to get someone to look) you should see two lumps either side of the genital area if a boy or just a small opening for a girl.

If in doubt see your vet to check :)

sooooooooooo cute that guinea pig is lovely !!! i would soo have it :lol: but they look lovely together :wave:

Glad they are out of that horrible home. The best thing is to get them both checked by a vet when you take the rabbit in for the myxi jab (and panacur for worming if you're going to be thorough). The vet will be able to sex them and advise you on their general health and spot any problems that may be coming up.

Are you going to separate them?

They were to be seperated straight away as I had the dog crate for one and hopefully their hutch for the other. But the hutch isn't in a fit state so together is better than one left in a smelly poo filled hutch.

The pictures were taken outside as then we could transfer them from hutch to crate quickly.

I'll be booking the bunny in for its myxi I just wondered if boys bits were obvious. They will both be vet checked as soon as.

This is the bottom half of the hutch, the hay was from me whilst I waited for hubby to get home from work.

044-1.jpg

Apparently they use to be free range in the garden alot, so they use to get to spend only the night in their own wee. :evil: Oh well not anymore. :D

Yes boy bits are obvious, if the buns a he then there will be two pink sacks about an inch long either side of his genitalia. Here you go - I'm sure Remus wont mind :lol:

CIMG9619.jpg

Yeah, an adult male is very obvious, especially on a white bunny unless he's been neutered. The bottom of that hutch is hideous!

Back