• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

teeth problem (long)

ulsterchick

Young Bun
Hi
I am not long back from the vets with Snuggles my 4 year old Chinchilla Giganta. I thought I was taking him for a standard teeth burr- if thats the right word for it!
Well when the vet was looking in his mouth he asked was I aware that he only had 5 teeth! This is a new vet in our area so he hadnt seen Snuggles before.
He had his teeth burred under sedation just before Christmas and that vet never said anything. The tooth that needed attention then has now disappeared! The vet I saw today thought I had asked for the tooth to be taken out.
Now my problem is why is this happening? The vet doesnt seem to concerned at the moment but wants to keep an eye on his weight. He says he is very young to have hardly any teeth though!
Anybody any suggestions on how I keep Snuggles comfortable and happy to eat- so far he is eating and drinking as normal. I am just thinking what if.
Does anyone think I should contact the vet from before Christmas and ask if he noticed anything and ask what he did?
Sorry to go, just I am little concerned
Thanks
Clare

I would suggest that your Bun has an Xray of his skull to see what is happening with his tooth roots and to see if there are any signs of osteoporosis in the jaw. An Xray now would also serve as a reference point in future as it sounds as though he has a chronic Dental problem.

He will obviously need regular Dentals as his remaining teeth probably wont wear down properly and sharp spurs are likely to develope. Keeping a check on his GI function will be important as quite often the first warning signs of a Bun needing a Dental is for the poos to become very small, dark and dry.

If he finds eating hay difficult try to get him to eat fresh grass. This is softer than hay but still provides good dental attrition.

Janex :)

Thanks for the advice. I am back at the vets with him next Tuesday so will talk to the vet then.
As I said before he is fine at the moment eating and drinking. He always has prefered grass to hay. He plays with his hay. It entertains him for hours!:lol:
The vet asked did i give him alot of shop bought treats as he though that was the problem. When I said no he got veg as a treat, think he was a little confused then as to what has happened!
I'll keep you all updated

Thanks
Clare

Sorry to hear about your bunny, if you need another vet recommendation, feel free to PM me.:)

I never knew that about grass Jane, I always thought that because it was soft it was useless for wearing down teeth, so thats good to know I can add some fresh grass into my buns diet as I was avoiding it due to Fudge's molar spurs.

Back