• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question

Oldenburg

New Kit
Hey i am new so sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Right my rabbit has had 8 babies (they are a about 6 days old) but she has eaten 2 of them yesterday at some ponit !:(

I have left her alone not touched them or anythink! I am just feeding and giving her water. I have not cleaned her out and have not touched the nest!

I am worried that she may kill more of them or maybe all of them!
So my question is

Is there age that she will not kill them! I have never look after baby rabbits befor just used to horses and dogs lol:lol:

Thanks
Gemma
xx

Hiya :wave:

Not much experience on this myself but have learnt that the mothers can "overclean" bunnies when born, some bunnies can have one leg missing, ears missing etc because the mother has overcleaned.

Good idea to give plenty of food and water, she will need it to process the milk for her kits.

Have you removed the daddy? Please do if not.

I'm sorry this wasn't looked at earlier, I'm sure some more RU peeps will have a look and respond, think it may have got missed x

You are usually out of the woods by about 3 weeks I think, so you have a little while to wait yet. How much room does she have?

I hope someone will be able to tell you more but I do believe animals know when something 'isn't right' and perhaps the mum knew there was something wrong with those two babies? I believe they would only do things like that when they are very young, thought to be honest this is the first time I've heard of a rabbit eating her babies.

Well good news is she still has 6 babys left!!

The farther is wild but she has had her injections thank god!! She got out of her hutch one night :rolleyes:

She has a hutch that is two levels and her nest box is quite big!

The 2 that where killed they where quite small so they might have had somethink wrong with them but the others look really well!!

But thanks for your help guys!!:thumb:

:wave: Good luck with the new babies :)

After the babies are grown you might consider getting her neutered. It helps prevent her getting cancer in her womb which kills a lot of female bunnies when they get older. Of course would also help prevent any further accidents, they are good at escaping aren't they :lol:

Back