• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

new bunny owner very worried :(

ktdt

New Kit
hi we got a new bunny at the weekend and all seemed fine but yesterday he didnt eat or dring much at all (hardly any) and today i have noticed that in his hutch there are runny poos, i have got him in at the vets today at 2:30 but am really worried about him, i dont want him to die:cry:

Has anyones bunny ever had this and what was the outcome?

Sorry to hear your bunny isn't very well, you are definitely doing the right thing in taking him to the vet. Would it be possible to get an earlier appointment? I would do so if you can to be on the safe side. I'm sorry I can't tell you what is wrong, but am sending lots of get well vibes for your bunny.

Hi,

Have you been feeding him the same food as he was being fed at the place you got him? Drastic changes in diet can cause an upset stomach and the added stress of moving home won't be helping.

Hope your bunny gets well soon.

yes he is still on the same food. i'm soo worried about him :( i'm just clock watching till i have to go, they couldnt fit us in any earlyer. just hope he is going to be ok, he's only a baby.

hi we got a new bunny at the weekend and all seemed fine but yesterday he didnt eat or dring much at all (hardly any) and today i have noticed that in his hutch there are runny poos, i have got him in at the vets today at 2:30 but am really worried about him, i dont want him to die:cry:

Has anyones bunny ever had this and what was the outcome?

Hello :O)
I wish your bunny well and hope it's nothing too serious. You came to the right place for advice it's great on here. I would say that the vet is the best place to go when your bunny is poorly.
When we got Midnight we couldn't help but give him lots of veg & fruit to eat, plus he was on the grass for a bit and ate that to. He had runny poos for a couple of days after. He wasn't used to it. Coming from a pet shop he'd only had a muesli pet food and not even had any hay before. I gradually introduced new foods and kept a permanent supply of hay for him and it all settled down within a week.
Fingers crossed for you x

oh thankyou its a bit reasuring to hear of another bunny been in this situation and been ok!

I was wondering if a change in hay type could cause it? cos i didnt buy the hay from the same shop i got him (only think i didnt) he hasnt had any fresh veg or anything yet cos he is only 8 weeks old.

I have just moved his water to right next to where he is sat and he is now drinking.

I wouldn't think it was the hay time. Bunnys are very sensitive little souls its possible its stress but its best to get things check out by a vet. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for rabbits to already be sick before you get them from a petstore. They are very good at hiding illness.

well we went to the vet ant she thinks he has heat stroke!!!
I feel like such a bad bunny mummy, :cry: he was in the shade and i put in a bottle of frozen water. They have put him on antibiotics and said the next 48 hours will be make or break :cry:

i have got him in the house now so i can keep a close eye on him, she felt his tummy and said he will probably have runny poos for the rest of today and maybe tomorrow, but tonight he is back eating hay (not pellets yet) and drinking lots of water. And poos are looking much better (still a bit soft but at least in ball form now)

she also said that cos i have my hands full (i have 2 little girls) maybe i sould have got a kitten or puppy, cos everyone seems to think they can get a rabbit and its easy.

I didnt think that at all and really looked in to getting a rabbit but she made me feel like a child!

Well, I would say a puppy is even more difficult and you have to walk it every day.
The very fact that you've sought medical attention says that you are a good bunny owner. I hope your little rab gets well soon.

It has been really scorching down here today, so it might be the change not only to situation but also weather that may affect him. They can be so fragile when they're young - don't feel bad for it. I'm sure you're a fab bunny mummy, after all you got her to the vets, some wouldn't even bother, just shows you care x

I know what you mean - it's not as easy as "oh, I'll get a cat instead" - I've always loved buns, was afraid of dogs when I was younger and I love bunnies :) my fave thing is to get them out for their own hoppie time.

well we went to the vet ant she thinks he has heat stroke!!!
I feel like such a bad bunny mummy, :cry: he was in the shade and i put in a bottle of frozen water. They have put him on antibiotics and said the next 48 hours will be make or break :cry:

i have got him in the house now so i can keep a close eye on him, she felt his tummy and said he will probably have runny poos for the rest of today and maybe tomorrow, but tonight he is back eating hay (not pellets yet) and drinking lots of water. And poos are looking much better (still a bit soft but at least in ball form now)

she also said that cos i have my hands full (i have 2 little girls) maybe i sould have got a kitten or puppy, cos everyone seems to think they can get a rabbit and its easy.

I didnt think that at all and really looked in to getting a rabbit but she made me feel like a child!

If you put the bunny back outside, just make sure he has plenty of shaded areas to lay in, and the iced bottles are a good idea for him to lay next to. Its been hot in my area the last few days and my neighbours must think I am mad with all the bits of wood and bits and pieces to make shaded areas.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

he seems lots better now. Poos are more solid, he is eating lots of hay (still no pellets) and has had about 100ml to drink.

He has also been hopping all round the living room (not done this before) and was standing up in his cage banging his foot until i went over to him then he was nudging me lol, thats when i got him out cos thought he must be feeling a bit better.

I just wish i had known about how bad it can be for them to get too hot (i thought i took enough measures :?) but i have looked on the internet now and know to keep him between 7 degrees and 24 degrees.

just hope he makes it through all this:(

My rescue bun ended up not eating alot and with runny poos - it was purely the stress of being in a new enviroment and new smells luckily, so i wouldnt be shocked if he was still off his food a little after hes over his heat stroke
youve odviously looked into getting a bun, cats and dogs can be just as difficult to look after!
hope bunny is feeling better today! x

hi everyone he is soo much better today, had some food last night and some more tonight and had had 150ml to drink today, lots of firm round poos :D

We have just had him out playing round the living room and he was bouncing about all over the place lol, going to get hubby to build some sort of large frame for in the house though while he is still young cos he is very interested in everything (under sofas ect) and still a bit shy in coming to me so want to keep him a bit confined.

Can i just ask how much water on average do your buns drink per 24 hours? and does anyone know what sort of weight he should be? he is 8 1/2 weeks old and weighs 394g

hi everyone he is soo much better today, had some food last night and some more tonight and had had 150ml to drink today, lots of firm round poos :D

We have just had him out playing round the living room and he was bouncing about all over the place lol, going to get hubby to build some sort of large frame for in the house though while he is still young cos he is very interested in everything (under sofas ect) and still a bit shy in coming to me so want to keep him a bit confined.

Can i just ask how much water on average do your buns drink per 24 hours? and does anyone know what sort of weight he should be? he is 8 1/2 weeks old and weighs 394g

Fab :D Glad to hear he's "bounced back" :lol: bless

Not too sure about weight as my buns are mini's and are alot smaller, what breed is your bun?

My bun drinks about a quater worth of her bottle a day (I think I get the 250cl bottles - not the bigbig ones, the slightly smaller ones) but it again depends on the size of bun x

Back