• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Odd poo - clear/white sticky stuff ETA and Abscesses

Bun Bun

Warren Scout
I have notied the last couple of days some weird stuff with max's poo. He is doing the normal hard poos still but around some of these there is a sticky clear goo, occasionally there is just the goo.
The only way I describe the texture and what it looks like is that it looks like freshly squirted super glue.

What is it? I have a vets appointment today so will ask them and try and take some with me :oops: But just after ideas before I go in case he doesn't know.

Last edited:
The mucous means that Max's guts are inflamed...it's called enteritis.

Definitely tell the vets because sometimes it can be life-threatening. Your vets will be able to give Max treatment, and hopefully get to the cause of the problem.

Good luck :D

Poor Max. The last few weeks have been one thing after another for him :(
Will definately mention it to the vets.

:wave: have recently had a bun with mucoid enteritis...know that its a yucky time....:cry:
get well soon little bun:)
pm me if you need anything
kellie

Got back from the vets and Max has another 2 abscesses appeared :( I asked the vet about the poo and immediately he said it was inflamed guts. Due to this we had to be very careful with upping his antibiotics for the abscesses as the vet believes it's the anti-biotics causing the inflamed gut. I need to get some pro-biotic youghurt for him to have a few licks of each day to help settle his gut. I had to do this with one of my rats when he was previously on anti-biotics and it worked.

I have another appointment in 2 weeks time.

Ohh I had that a couple of weeks ago for him. There is a pet shop near me that sells veterinary medicines such as panacur and the like so I will see if they have it there. If not I will order online.

Does anyone know the best way to hold a struggling rabbit so I can actually bathe his underarm? I can hold him to do his paw and to give him his meds but I cannot hold his still to get his underarm.

I also bought some excell nugget for junior/dwarf buns to help build him up abit. If he is already on the normal excell do I need to switch over gradually or can I just swap them?

You can get probiotic on line, or your vet will sell it to you. I also think that Pets at Home do one too and its best to use this probiotic in preference to yogurt.

What treatment are they giving for the abscesses. Where are they situated on him?

He is currently on baytril. His original abscess was on the top of his paw, like the equivelient to the back of our hand. The other one is on his toe, the same as the finger next to our little finger, and the other one is near his elbow. The vet said they appear to be off-shoots of the same abscess rather than seperate abscesses. They are all in the leg where he had his catheter in the other week.
We need to be careful what medication he has because he has a kidney problem, but we don't know what that is or how bad that is yet as we are unable to do a bloodtest when he is on meds and these may affect the results.

Went back to a different vets today and he said we can throw as many antibiotics at it as we like and clean it all day but as the abscess is enclosed in a hard shell/capsule it won't penetrate the case of the abscess. He is being admitted ext Wednesday when they are going to stick a needle in it and see what comes out and what they are dealing with. So hopefully they will sort something soon. We have also stopped the antibiotics as they aren't doing anything.

Back