• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peanut Butter Update

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
he is still very small, have been panacuring him for around 2 weeks now, but no signs of improvement yet, i emailed my cousin who is a vet nurse and she thinks he may have kidney problems, which could be a result of E.C or unrelated alltogether. she said i should get a blood test done to see, but expect to pay £40+.

He seems to be drinking more water but it is difficult to tell when they are a pair, plus with the varying heat changes its hard too.

has anyone else buns on here had kidney problems?

i miss my little man, hes so angry and nippy all the time, i miss my snuggle boy :(
i have this sinking feeling i am going to lose him. i love him so much it isnt fair.

What exactly is the vet doing for him other than the course of panacur? :?

If it is suspected EC it is not enough. Is he on any pain meds?

he is still very small, have been panacuring him for around 2 weeks now, but no signs of improvement yet, i emailed my cousin who is a vet nurse and she thinks he may have kidney problems, which could be a result of E.C or unrelated alltogether. she said i should get a blood test done to see, but expect to pay £40+.

He seems to be drinking more water but it is difficult to tell when they are a pair, plus with the varying heat changes its hard too.

has anyone else buns on here had kidney problems?

i miss my little man, hes so angry and nippy all the time, i miss my snuggle boy :(
i have this sinking feeling i am going to lose him. i love him so much it isnt fair.

hes also on metacam and baytril.

the vet himself is useless, he doesnt think its E.C infact he thinks there is nothing wrong with him. im following my cousins advice.

theres a good bunny vet at a clinic in tiptree, but shes away for 10 days, and im waiting for her to get back, she will do a test hopefully.

I might have to get a blood test done for Ozzy he had been losing weight and drinking over 500mls a day (but he is in a pair so its hard to tell) I was quoted £100 for blood test :shock: He has started to improve, but they suspect possible kidney probs.

Loads of vibes for peanut xxx

Awwwww Missy, I'm sorry PB is not really improving :( And it sounds very frustrating that your vet seems less than concerned :?

How long until this other vet gets back? Is it still 10 days? Are there any others in your area that are any good, or any people on here can recommend? :) I'm sure you agree that the best thing to do is get a second opinion, I'm just concerned that 10 days is too far away and would stifle his chances :(

Hi SJ, not that I'm an expert at all but I just wondered if any of Peanut's unexplained weight loss was similar to my Picollo;s. My vet could not find an obvious cause. Though in Picollo's case he was still happy and eating in himself just weary and weight loss. Anyway he went in again for more bloods last week and we had results back on friday and he has leukemia.
I dont mean to scare you (though things are looking cautiously hopeful Picollo at the mo) but just to give perhaps another angle, or suggestion at another posible cause.
Sending loads of vibes for Peanut, I hope you get to the bottom of what's going on soon x x x

What a horrible situation to be in...your vet sure does sound useless....

I believe that Baytril is pretty much useless against EC so unless he is fighting an infection of some sort I am not sure why he was prescribed it. Obviously if PB has problems with his kidneys (not that you will know for sure until a blood test) you must err on the side of caution with your metacam dosage as this can impair the kidneys further.... has he been given any ranitidine?

Is he eating normally now?

What a horrible situation to be in...your vet sure does sound useless....

I believe that Baytril is pretty much useless against EC so unless he is fighting an infection of some sort I am not sure why he was prescribed it. Obviously if PB has problems with his kidneys (not that you will know for sure until a blood test) you must err on the side of caution with your metacam dosage as this can impair the kidneys further.... has he been given any ranitidine?

Is he eating normally now?

he was originally given baytril as he has sore hocks. he shudnt have bcus of his breed but he does, he did have one sore hock, now its both.

Thea- if he gets bad i have my cousin on the other end of the phone who could see him at her vets if it was an emergency. it was ten days from tues last week, i enquired about their bunny vets when we took rocky there last week so its only another 3 or 4 days til shes back, aparantly shes excellent.

Fairy - i read your post actually and some of it did seem similar, what was picollos eating like? peanut still gobbles down everything in sight!

BTW initially Picollo was drinking loads and weeing down his legs which was caused by a urine infection that cleared with treatment but this was 2ndary to the leukemia, as his immune function is very compromised cos of the cancer. So it could be kidney probs or just a 2ndary problem which is hiding the root cause x x

Yes Picollo eats everything! He is constantly hungry. Emily says cos of the over active cells of the cancer they are using all the energy so thats why he's losing weight and his body isnt getting all he needs cos those nasty mutated cells are taking it all. :(

Yes Picollo eats everything! He is constantly hungry. Emily says cos of the over active cells of the cancer they are using all the energy so thats why he's losing weight and his body isnt getting all he needs cos those nasty mutated cells are taking it all. :(

hmmmm interesting. did she say it was common? i mean i know theres always a chance but ive never heard of it before?

did he become grumpy? bcus peanut used to be so friendly and hes changed. hes always angry and grunting.

I imagine the grumpiness is probably stemming from the fact he is feeling unwell and possibly experiencing some discomfort. The sore hocks could possibly be a result of hind leg weakness and I would be more inclined to believe he is suffering from EC as opposed to Leukemia which is very rare.
Poor PB....I really hope this new vet can find out some answers for you! What dosage of metacam is he on?

hmmmm interesting. did she say it was common? i mean i know theres always a chance but ive never heard of it before?

did he become grumpy? bcus peanut used to be so friendly and hes changed. hes always angry and grunting.

I dont know how common it is. Someone (cant remember who without looking :oops:) did post on my thread and said how they're not sure how many buns a ever diagnosed with it cos perhaps many vets just wouldnt take the time/trouble to look for it.

Picollo is being treated in a similar way I believe to how they treat dogs with it too. Peanut does sound similar, however Picollo didnt get grumpy, but all buns are different i guess. Picollo was the runt of the litter so vet said its poss its something tht has always been there but has just been triggered in some way. How old is peanut?

I imagine the grumpiness is probably stemming from the fact he is feeling unwell and possibly experiencing some discomfort. The sore hocks could possibly be a result of hind leg weakness and I would be more inclined to believe he is suffering from EC as opposed to Leukemia which is very rare.
Poor PB....I really hope this new vet can find out some answers for you! What dosage of metacam is he on?

1ml a day

I woudnt say for one minute that PB has leukemia, I just thought the possibilty was worth mentioning, with Picollo too I would never have thought of leukemia and many people told me EC but my vet just wasnt convinced. Turns out she was right on this occasion. I know how upsetting it can be to watch your bun be ill and go downhill and you feel helpless to stop it, so I just though it was worth mentioning as its solved the mystery for us x

I dont know how common it is. Someone (cant remember who without looking :oops:) did post on my thread and said how they're not sure how many buns a ever diagnosed with it cos perhaps many vets just wouldnt take the time/trouble to look for it.

Picollo is being treated in a similar way I believe to how they treat dogs with it too. Peanut does sound similar, however Picollo didnt get grumpy, but all buns are different i guess. Picollo was the runt of the litter so vet said its poss its something tht has always been there but has just been triggered in some way. How old is peanut?

hes two ish. i got him september 06 from PAH. ( i know!)

so hes gotta be two ish now bcus he would have 2 have been at least 8 weeks old. oh i just feel so helpless :(:(:(:(

im leaving for university in sept, and my parents are looking after the buns, they love them too, but they dont know him like me, they dont pick up on the little things, what if he dusnt get better in time? :(:(:(

my poor peanie :(

I woudnt say for one minute that PB has leukemia, I just thought the possibilty was worth mentioning, with Picollo too I would never have thought of leukemia and many people told me EC but my vet just wasnt convinced. Turns out she was right on this occasion. I know how upsetting it can be to watch your bun be ill and go downhill and you feel helpless to stop it, so I just though it was worth mentioning as its solved the mystery for us x

Oh I wasn't saying you were wrong for suggesting it :oops: I was just saying that I thought it would be more likely to be EC. I would have said the same if I were in your situation, and although it's horrific for you to be going through this if anything good can come out of it it is that you can make people more aware about it. I really hope Picollo can beat his illness and have longer with us :(x

1ml? what is his weight?

I think last time I read he was 1.7kg?? for a bun that size he should be on no more than 0.5 ml a day. x

It could well be the metacam attributing to the suspected kidney problems...xx

hes two ish. i got him september 06 from PAH. ( i know!)

so hes gotta be two ish now bcus he would have 2 have been at least 8 weeks old. oh i just feel so helpless :(:(:(:(

im leaving for university in sept, and my parents are looking after the buns, they love them too, but they dont know him like me, they dont pick up on the little things, what if he dusnt get better in time? :(:(:(

my poor peanie :(

Only young still then. Picollo is young too, he'll be 2 on Oct 2nd. Your vet should be able to take a blood test and test for EC as well as checking for white blood cell count etc. All of this would give a clue as to what PB body thinks is wrong. And if you're paying for the blood test there's no reason why they can't test for EC as well as anything else at the same time. I'd just be worried too as you've had him on panacur for2 weeks with no improvement at all I'm sure you'd feel happier if you had him tested for EC which would prove concrete one way or the other. Poor Peanut and poor you, you must be so worried x x

Oh I wasn't saying you were wrong for suggesting it :oops: I was just saying that I thought it would be more likely to be EC. I would have said the same if I were in your situation, and although it's horrific for you to be going through this if anything good can come out of it it is that you can make people more aware about it. I really hope Picollo can beat his illness and have longer with us :(x

Thanks hun. Its just I was so shocked too. I was expecting a phone call on friday telling me he was positive for EC, not that he had leukemia. I must admit I have spent much of this weekend in tears but the outlook for him is hmmmm so so, so hopefully we'll have longer yet.

Really the vet should be able to find if its EC or owt else from a PB blood test. Sometimes I think there's some vets that just dont realise how important our little guys are to us x

Back