• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vet charges

rabbitmum

Mama Doe
:wave: just had a note from our vet saying that as from 31 oct 08 they can charge £15 just for a prescription!!!!!!!!!:evil:
that is if you normally buy meds online as its cheaper (panacur, baytril etc)
but need a prescription

Why in your opinion is it overpricing?
In your opinion how much should it cost for someone to write up a prescription and provide you with the advice you need in relation to the prescription? It takes up time of a veterinary surgeon, who has better things to do such as consultations, operating etc... you pay for the vets time for consults/ops, so why shouldn't you pay for their time to write a prescription?

Hello
i'm not sure if I am missing something here, but here are my thoughts. I am not having a go or anything, just trying to see both sides.

I know this is nothing to do with pescriptions,
but I own a retail business and I have constant problems with customers who try things on in my shop and get the size /code etc and then buy on line.
It seems that everyone has forgotten that service and time count for a lot and overheads MUST be paid.
I have all of the following that have to be paid each month, and that's before stock has to be replaced:
Rent
Council Rates
Alarm system
Insurance
Telephone
Electric
Bank Costs
Credit card charges etc

I don't take a wage and only manage to keep my head above water.

Please don't ever think that businesses are overcharging you.
Yes you can buy things cheaper on-line, and that is a wonderful choice.
But you are paying for the privalege of service and expertise. Just because a pescription is only being "Written" don't forget that any costs are passed onto the more urgent times that a pet needs care!
let's all be thankful that we still have those services!!!! I know I am.
God forbid that my 2 Rabbits ever need emergency care. I will be gratelful my vet had that £15.00 in his funds to treat my Boys!

:)

Hello
i'm not sure if I am missing something here, but here are my thoughts. I am not having a go or anything, just trying to see both sides.

I know this is nothing to do with pescriptions,
but I own a retail business and I have constant problems with customers who try things on in my shop and get the size /code etc and then buy on line.
It seems that everyone has forgotten that service and time count for a lot and overheads MUST be paid.
I have all of the following that have to be paid each month, and that's before stock has to be replaced:
Rent
Council Rates
Alarm system
Insurance
Telephone
Electric
Bank Costs
Credit card charges etc

I don't take a wage and only manage to keep my head above water.

Please don't ever think that businesses are overcharging you.
Yes you can buy things cheaper on-line, and that is a wonderful choice.
But you are paying for the privalege of service and expertise. Just because a pescription is only being "Written" don't forget that any costs are passed onto the more urgent times that a pet needs care!
let's all be thankful that we still have those services!!!! I know I am.
God forbid that my 2 Rabbits ever need emergency care. I will be gratelful my vet had that £15.00 in his funds to treat my Boys!

:)

Well said....this topic has come up before and I completely agree with you.....Ask your solicitor to just write a letter for you for free!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Also, vets have a lot more overheads than your average business... I've mentioned some of them in a previous discussion.
Who do you think pays for the vet's CPD budget? RCVS listing? etc... getting a professional service comes at a price I'm afraid.

If you've paid for a consultation already then I think £15 is a little steep for what will probably be a printed piece of paper.

If you've paid for a consultation already then I think £15 is a little steep for what will probably be a printed piece of paper.

It takes my boss approximately 10 minutes to do each written prescription. If you don't mind him taking 10 minutes out of his consultation time, I don't think he'd mind doing it for free. Is a 5 minute consultation OK for you? That's from entering the consult room, to exiting again. So, once pet is out of the box, and you've explained the problem, the vet may have just enough time to examine it before you put it back in the box again. Or are you also wanting the vet to explain the diagnosis, administer injections , give advice etc too? Everything takes time, and professionals shouldn't have to give their time away for free....

It takes my boss approximately 10 minutes to do each written prescription. If you don't mind him taking 10 minutes out of his consultation time, I don't think he'd mind doing it for free. Is a 5 minute consultation OK for you? That's from entering the consult room, to exiting again. So, once pet is out of the box, and you've explained the problem, the vet may have just enough time to examine it before you put it back in the box again. Or are you also wanting the vet to explain the diagnosis, administer injections , give advice etc too? Everything takes time, and professionals shouldn't have to give their time away for free....

No need to be so sarcy.

Why can't you print the things off? I believe that's what my vets do.

Because each animal has a different name, owners name, address, dob, species, breed, drug, dose etc... its not a set form, each prescription is individual to each animal.
They need to include the drug name, generic name, strength, and these need to be written in words, then again in numbers... it's not a straightforward thing to do.

Yes I think the free part was time limited though - and end oct this year will be 3 years so it makes sense.

I agree with Tinky - I have no problem at all with vets charging what they do for drugs as they have a business to run and most will reinvest their profits (if there are any!) back into the practice. I certainly wouldn't begrudge paying £15 for their time to sort out a prescription; it will also help cover some of their 'losses' for not dispensing you the drugs.

:wave: as a business woman myself i know about overheads ..im just saying that for instance if i want some more baytril for my rat that has chronic chest infections ,i have to make an appointment with my sick rat ,to ask for something that i know i will be prescribed and waste both our times or phone up and pay £15 for the prescription plus the price of the online pharmacy.!!
i hate wasting vets time as i know as a working person, i hate people wasting mine with things.
i have the upmost respect for vets and the staff..time is money but i think £15 is too steep and will put alot of people off going to the vet for a prescription.they will end up clogging up the waiting room with the unneccessary and animals that need urgent attention will not be seen as lots of people feel unable to communicate to the reception staff that it is urgent.
we pay £33 + to see our bun vet and he is worth every penny,including the £20 petrol and 5 hr round trip .

Bottom line is that, forget about all the overheads etc etc that everyone talks about...surely thats what we are all covering in the standard vet fee.(Amongst other things)
I made an observation recently on one of our many visits to the vets that we were fifth to go in to see the vet and waited 20 mins meaning that in that initial half hour, five people had paid a standard consultation charge of avaraging £25.- Thats £125 in total which equals £250 an hour- a sum which I'm sure doesn't go entirely to that vet but does in deed COVER THE OVERHEADS!
I don't begrudge these charges but lets not make excuses
I'm already concerned that many pets may not get as much care as they deserve with the so called credit crunch maybe affecting whats in peoples pockets so introducing another charge on top of that is going to do no one any favours whatsoever is it?
If the vets weren't adding such a huge (and I do mean huge in some cases) mark up on the drugs, then people wouldn't need to "waste" the vets time with a request for a prescription so that they can get the required drugs from the internet.
I personally always like to support local businesses in all walks of life, but I don't expect to be treated like a mug at the same time

My pets always come first, but like everyone else, I have to watch the purse strings too.

Last edited:
Back