• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood in Urine? Help

hayleyhelen

Alpha Buck
Ive just been out to my rabbits whom ive had for less than one week and found what looks to be bloody urine, or orange wee in their litter tray. The rabbits are both girls and are 12 weeks old, they have been in the run today and only been back into to soil the litter tray for the last hour. They have been eating carrot, does anyone know if this can turn wee orange or is this something much more sinister. Please help I am desperate.

We have only had them since thursday and they have had a lot more veg than they would have been having where we got them from. They have been out on the grass for hours today, probably nibbling at some of the plants too. I have replaced the litter tray so i will continue to monitor the situation. Not sure which one it was becasue they both use the same tray. They both seem ok in themselves and are eating and grooming.

I am sure that it will be down to veg then.

Also take care in letting bunnies on grass all day long unless they are used to doing this where they came from.

Bunnies allowed to graze for long periods who are not used to it, can suffer from bloat in some circumstances and this is very bad news.

Introduce it very gradually, maybe 1/2 hour to hour a day and build up gently.

I'd keep an eye on the wee wee, but unless you really think it looks bloody and not just orange, I don't think I would mind too much.

If you have registered with your local vet already, you could just take them along for their health check and talk over any concerns that you have with the vet.:D

Helen

Thank you,
I have registered with the vet, my boy rabbit, Bay is booked in to be castrated on wednesday but if i am still worried tommorow i will call them first thing and try to take the girl, Samba for a check over.
Thanks again, I am loving this site. I found it when shopping for runs for my previous house rabbit, he passed away a few months ago. Very sad, but this site convinced me that there are many rabbits in need of a good and loving home.

Well I am glad that you are pleased you found the forum.

I am loving it and have only been here since the beginning of the year.

It's great to meet like-mined people and learn so much about bunnies.

I have also made some great new bunny contacts.

Glad you are loving having your new bunnies.

I love rabbits, having only found out about them about 2 years ago and can't now imagine a time when we won't be caring for some.

(we have 15 currently!).

Helen

Hiya :wave: often leafy greens or carrots can make the wee go orange, my buns wee occasionally changes colour depending on how much grass they've eaten :)

Ive just been out to my rabbits whom ive had for less than one week and found what looks to be bloody urine, or orange wee in their litter tray. The rabbits are both girls and are 12 weeks old, they have been in the run today and only been back into to soil the litter tray for the last hour. They have been eating carrot, does anyone know if this can turn wee orange or is this something much more sinister. Please help I am desperate.

Quite normal after eating carrots or other leafy greens, watch out for Cystitis though (you can tell if they have this if they are straining in the litter tray). Our girl started having really orangey/red wee and then would lie in the litter tray, a dose of Baytril soon sorts it out though.

Back