• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunnies bonding with new owners

nic08

Young Bun
Hi, I just posted a thread on a different problem but thought I would post this separate as my other question was rather long!!

Honey and Humphrey are 2 mini lops, 2 months old and I picked them up last Thursday. The breeder said in order to build a strong bond with them I need to block off the bedroom area of their hutch so their natural instinct to hide is taken away for at least 4 weeks so they have got used to me first and don't shy away. Also not to give them anywhere to hide like tunnels etc for the same time as well as not to put them in a run for this period.

I have already disregarded part of this advice by allowing them to run around the shed floor that their hutch is in. It seemed such a shame to not give them this freedom as it is a nice clean, safe and secure area which we purposefully made for this reason. They have loved going through the tunnels and investigating all the bits and bobs, It doesn't seem to have stopped them coming to me as they will happily have a stroke and although struggle a bit are quite easy to pick up. I don't like putting them on their back in my arms as suggested by the breeder as they do not seem to like this too much and I feel like I am forcing myself on them. I would much rather they sit on my lap and then if they have had enough they just hop off and go somewhere else.

Is this how any of you guys have built a good bond. I feel a bit mean not giving them the bed space and tunnels whilst they are in the hutch. I have given them other toys to combat any boredom but 4 weeks seems like a long time. Will the bond not just come anyway as time goes on and they realise my presence is a good thing as I bring the food, let them out of the hutch for a play etc etc.

Also, when can they go in the run in the garden. If I stick with the breeders advice it won't be for a month yet but if I disregard this do I need to wait until they are fully vaccinated.

Sorry for all the questions this rabbit thing is all new and I want to make sure I am giving them the best I can! Any advice most welcome, thanks.

I am in the same position as you ie new mam to 8 week old bunnies :) its all a bit scary trying to do the right thing and making sure the bunnies are happy

anyway I got mine from a friend not a breeder so havent done any of the stuff you been recommended. she knew we have kids so has tried to handle them lots for us to get them used to it

mine in the bed area of the hutch to keep them warm at night and have been hopping about the garden happy enough even when hotly pursued by our 6 and a half year old twins

have been trying to pick them up as much as possible without pestering them and they hop over if we sit on the grass

hope i am doing everything ok my bunny owning neighbour says they seem very content

look forward to hearing how you getting on maybe can swop notes :)

I'm not sure if it would make much difference... My rabbits are given houses and not depending on whether I have any (and I prioritize getting them for rabbits outside) Zakura used a cardboard box when I first got her, but she still came out rather often (could be because I had already known her since she was a baby anyway XD same with Sasuke) Aroma never had a house when I kept her indoors.
Tobi and Rufus have one, but I have never seen them use it.

Thanks for the replies. I laughed when you mentioned your twins, I have 2 boys - 4yrs and 1yr. The 4 year old is so excited to greet them each morning and have them run around him on the shed floor. I have to curb the enthusasium a bit as he loves to give them a stroke and take their tunnels away so he can get a good look! The buns seem ok with the fuss though. Not letting the 1yr old anywhere near them though as he is very heavy handed and a stroke is a well meant thud!!! Don;t worry, I have not let this happen and he can see but not touch!! I think I will start putting them outside soon and once they are litter trained given them their bed area. They are so messy at the moment and pooping and weeing everywhere so I want to get them a bit more controlled so it is not such a big job each day!! Look forward to hearing how you are getting on.

It's still early days for me as I've only had Alfie for a couple of weeks but he seemed quite used to being handled already and is a very confident boy, which helps.

He has plenty of places to hide in his hutch and run but it hasn't stopped him becomgn really friendly. I stop by frequently with treats - small pieces of greens, dried dandelions anything to encourage him to come to me or the children and he loves being stroked while he's nibbling. He now comes running up every time I pass, because he thinks he'll get something to eat. :lol:

Alfie doesn't like to sit on our laps at all, although he'll happily climb all over us and lick us. (& chew our shoes :shock:)

Personally I would go with your instincts and ignore what the breeder has told you. You are much better off having them clamber on and off your lap as you described than stressing them out by trying to turn them upside down. This is a good idea in practice as its handy for checking your bun over but you can build up to that once your bunnies trust you. I wouldn't close of the bedroom, we all need our own space to get away from things from time to time, I wouldn't expect this to affect your relationship. They are fine to go in the garden but you will need to limit their grass intact at the start as their tummys wont be used to it. I don't know about vacinating them first, I did with mine but then i'm over cautious as I lost two rabbits to myxi as a kid and I also have a lot of cats in my area which fleas which have myxi can jump on and off like a bus!

Our new babies are 5 and 3 weeks old, they are in the runs on the grass and love it, they have a box to hide in while mummy eats grass, but they lounge out in the sun, they don't eat the grass, or I wouldn't let them stay out too long, they have their sleeping area, but they know me, and come to me coz they know I let them out for space, and adventure. They get their myxi jabs at about 7/8 weeks just before being re-homed! Like others have said go with what you feel is right. I know people who would go mad at me for letting out 3 week babies on the grass, but after seeing them out there I'd feel bad for keeping them in when they love it so!!
You know your rabbit best, as long as you keep your eyes open, and go slowly and carefully you can see whats, going to work and what isn't like making friends with people you find out what sort of jokes are appropriate or not. The best way to bond is to spend time with them, pick them up, but leave them to hide if they get scared.
I think you're doing a fantastic job, and I'm so happy you have yourself 2 new bunny babies!! It takes time but they will soon learn you have the food which despite everything is ultimately one of their favorite reasons to be your friend hehehe! At dinner time Tilly comes running now, and starts eating out my hand, though when she first came she wouldn't have a thing to do with me!!
I know you will do fantasticlly with them!!

Back