• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Size Requirements? - Bunny Size Question Added to!! :)

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Hi,

As I'm hoping to get Darcy a friend, I have decided her hutch is not big enough. Plus she's chewed it to bits (def need to put the plasters wall stuff on the next one!). So, what size hutch would you recommend for two rabbits. Darcy is a standard rex, medium in size. For her new friend, I'd hope to have the same size or a bit larger than her. What size hutch and run would you recommend?

I have thought about Wendy Houses but due to there shape, I don't think it'd fit where I have in mind on the patio.

She, and friend will have the run of the patio OR run on the lawn when I am at home (evenings and weekends) and in the daytime when I am not there will have a run attached to the hutch.

Any ideas? Also, if giving a size, please say whether two levels or one etc.

Many thanks,

Holly :D

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the specific breed you have mentioned but here is the general advice I would give:

For a single layer hutch the minimum recommended by most rescues / RSPCA is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with a 6ft x 6ft run attached. A double layer 4ft x 2ft x 2ft offers about the same amount of space, depending on how well designed the ramps are. Anything bigger than that is a bonus. A double layer 6ft x 2ft x 2ft would be amazing if you can afford it for your buns :)

Hi,

I noticed that u said your rabbit has chewed the hutch and you said your going to put something on the next one to stop it. What is it called?

I would go for as big as size as you can afford, preferably 6ftx2ft or larger, with an attached run (6ft x 4ft x 2ft)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=121954&highlight=hutches

like mine

That link was really helpful thank you. Where did you get your hutches from? They look very smart.

Hi,

I noticed that u said your rabbit has chewed the hutch and you said your going to put something on the next one to stop it. What is it called?
Many people on RU have recommended something from B&Q that plasterers use around corners. I think thats right, correct me someone please if not!!

I've seen one from HappyHutch on Ebay that is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Massive-Rabbi...3513QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting that looks good. I can't find my tape measure at the moment to measure the area I have. Does anyone have this hutch? Any views on it?

Another question!!

Instead of creating a new post, I'll add it to this one. What breed/size/age etc rabbit would be best to go with Darcy. Darcy is a medium sized rabbit (about 3kg I think), a Standard Rex (with attitude!). I'm thinking a larger bunny would be better with her, but I don't quite know why!? I have seen Thomas on the Rabbits in Need Section, but I think he'd be too big? And too big for the hutch maybe? Advice please!! :D

P.S - Sorry about all the questions!! :oops:

Last edited:
:wave: Just Bumping this one up - hope its okay to do that? Not sure if anyones seen my later question. Sorry for all my Q's! Just want to do the right thing by my little girly :D

Back