• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i am so worried U/D she is through the GA but not good news

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
i am such a failure as a bunny mummy :cry::cry:

i posted a while ago about i thought ducheys teeth needed doing well vet said they were ok not rubbing anything and could wait etc etc duchess is still eating and pooing fine poops all still look healthy (although obviously with teegs in there too it is a bit harder to know whos is whos but all look fine and she still eats anything put in front of her. now as you may know i have been away pretty much all weekend so left the buns with loads of hay and water on friday night popped in on saturday to top up but i hate to say it didnt have time to really pay them attention except to shove a pile of hay in and to refill their water bowl. well gone in this morning and got such a shock i almost cried :( neither of my rabbits have ever been fat i dnt like fat animals and with a hay and veg diet and lots of running space both have always stayed sleek (the vets always comment on their nice weight) well teegs still looks sleek but duchess looks really bad :cry: she has lost a lot of weight over the weekend and i didnt notice i feel so bad :cry::cry: she is still eating as she has just had some veges for breakfast and i gave her a few oats too as they helped her last time she lost weight but omg how on earth can she lose it so quickly :cry: she is already booked into the vets for this afternoon and i have said she has lost weiht and i think it is probably her teeth and they have said that she will be checked today and they can do a dental tomorrow if that is the problem. i just cant believe it like i said i feel awful like i shouldnt be allowed to own them if i cant monitor them properly :cry: i dont get how she is still eating like a horse and pooping like mad yet still lose weight :cry: please dont have a go at me i really couldnt take it. will update after the vets please send vibes for my little duchey lady :cry:

Sending get better vibes :wave:

For the part of you that obviously wants shouting at :no:

For the 99% of the time that you are a good mummy bunny, try not to blame yourself too much. It can be easy to miss something and hopefully your bun will be healthy and well soon. :)

Good luck and take care of yourself and your bunnies

I know all about this guilt thing with Charlie and his abcess, I should have paid more attention to him.

But you have noticed and she is now booked in at the vets. You haven't just ignored the warning signs.

When Charlie had his jabs a year or so ago he was said to have a few small burrs on his teeth but on future return to the vets for boosters etc.. He was fine but now he has this abcess and medium burrs. We as owners follow what the vet says. We can't look into our own rabbits mouths with those light things, wish we could.

Good luck for tomorrow.

After your bun come back, separate them to observe the poos level and diet level. Keep us posted

Godspeed in a healthy healing

I don't think you are a bad bunny mum :)

I think it is most likely her teeth and once she has had them seen then she will be fine. I don't agree with leaving rabbits until they stop eating when it's known they have something wrong with their teeth, rabbits will often continue to eat even if in pain so the best thing to do is get them checked very, very regularly...I know some people with dental buns leave them until they start showing those kind of clinical signs, but to me it means the rabbit has reached a point where it is experiencing some discomfort and my vet agrees. Unfortunately sometimes it isn't easy to see the full extent of the problem whilst the bun is conscious.

One of my buns has really bad dental problems and lost a lot of weight very quickly...the vet I was using didn't think it was his teeth as they didn't look that bad, but I asked her to put him under GA and the problem was severe.

Don't beat yourself up about it, you are doing the best thing by getting her seen now! :)

Bunnies can lose weight at a shocking rate. It may not have been the whole weekend that it started.

When Arthur went into GI Statis weight dropped off him in an afternoon. I was so shocked to feel all his bones etc. Luckily he recovered and is now at a nice manageable weight.

Your not a bad mummy you care and your taking Ducheys to the vets.How many people dont notice their Rabbit is ill untill they find it dead in the hutch.Sending loads of get well vibes and a big hug for you.

well that was not a nice visit :cry: the vet was shocked by duchess's weight too (she was last eighed december 2006 and from that weight has lost 1/4 of her body weight although that wasnt an up to date weight obviously) the vet also isnt convinced she is that young a bunny (we think she was about 1 year - 18 months when we rehomed her as that is what the rescue centre was told and i have now had her 1 1/2 years which would make her 2-3 years old but the vet thinks she might older than that :shock::cry: she looked at her teeth and said they still arent looking too bad although obviously she cant see all the way to the back she wasnt happy to put duchess through the op yet though because of the weight loss so it is booked for thursday and not tuesday, duchess has had bloods taken today (had them taken from her ear and sat still like a little angel while they were being done the first ear didnt produce anything but the second ear eventually gave how much they needed) they want to check liver/kidney functions etc before putting her under anasthetic hence why we will wait until thursday. the vet is also worried abou the big C...cancer :cry: she said she couldnt feel any lumps but will check her over fully when she is having her dental done. she sais her tum felt a little 'stodgy' but when i said she mainly had hay she said it might be why but she could still feel all the poops so was happy everything was still working ok.

i am so worried about my little girl please keep sending vibes for her :cry:

Sending loads of vibes that everything turns out ok for Duchess and sending a big hug to you.Its such a worry when one of our furry friends is poorly

Vibes on their way for Duchess.

I know you're racked with guilt but don't beat yourself up over the weight loss (the same thing happened to Brody.. I didn't notice it 'cos it was gradual and obviously I saw her every day - it was the Vet that picked it up).

Give the gorgeous Duchess a nose rub and tell her there's quite a few peeps on here rooting for her :wave:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

just had a call from the vets to say it is bad news is an understatement :cry: the tests have come back and show she has got quite bad liver disease possibly due to liver cancer. the vet suggests trying a dental which they arent sure she will get through and if that fails having her pts i feel like someone has just smashed my head or something i feel terribe

Back