• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for my little Frankie please

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
Frankie stopped eating on Saturday night, and had to go to the emergency vets for a gut stimulant and painkillers :cry: By yesterday morning he was producing some small poos and nibbling at some raspberry leaves and hay, but he's still not tucking in with his usual enthusiasm :( This morning he halfheartedly ate some pellets but he's still really not himself so I think we might have to go back to the vets tonight :(

Thanks everyone.

Jane, I wondered about his teeth too, but they checked at the vets (with an octoscope) and they thought his teeth were fine. I'm wondering if I should push for a full inspection under GA... it doesn't seem that long ago that I had the problems with him not eating his caecoptrophs :? What does everyone think?

Thanks everyone.

Jane, I wondered about his teeth too, but they checked at the vets (with an octoscope) and they thought his teeth were fine. I'm wondering if I should push for a full inspection under GA... it doesn't seem that long ago that I had the problems with him not eating his caecoptrophs :? What does everyone think?

Well its a catch 22 really as I personally dont believe a thorough oral examination is possible when Bun is awake, even with the use of an otoscope. But then again a GA is an 'issue' for a Bun already having GI problems.

Reduced gut motility is seldom a primary condition but is a secondary symptom. Has Frankie had pain relief? If he has mouth discomfort then pain relief may enable him to eat more/eat with more enthusiasm thus giving a bit of a clue that he has molar spurs.
Some Buns will continue to eat with the most horrendous spurs, even those causing soft tissue damage. But other Buns will stop eating if their teeth become a bit too long/sharp.

Janex

Hi Jane

He had pain relief at the emergency vets on Saturday night (at about 10pm) and he did eat later on (just after midnight) but still without much enthusiasm :( He's continued like that through to today - he's moving about and eating and poo'ing, but without the previous quantities (i.e. he nibbled at a few pellets rather than scoffing down the entire lot).

The vet gave me three 0.4 mL lots of Zantac to give to him from Sunday morning through to today - have you come across this before? I googled it and it appears to be some sort of antacid when used for humans? :? (I'm guessing the animal medicine is a different product of the same name!!)

Hi Jane

He had pain relief at the emergency vets on Saturday night (at about 10pm) and he did eat later on (just after midnight) but still without much enthusiasm :( He's continued like that through to today - he's moving about and eating and poo'ing, but without the previous quantities (i.e. he nibbled at a few pellets rather than scoffing down the entire lot).

The vet gave me three 0.4 mL lots of Zantac to give to him from Sunday morning through to today - have you come across this before? I googled it and it appears to be some sort of antacid when used for humans? :? (I'm guessing the animal medicine is a different product of the same name!!)

Yes, Zantac ( Ranitidine ) is an anti GI Ulcer medication and I always use it now when treating a Bun with GI problems or a Bun on longterm Metacam.Buns tums are very prone to ulceration if theyare quite empty. This can happen in a matter of hours. Metacam is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory and one possible side-effect of longterm use is GI ulceration.

I still think Frankie may have Dental discomfort. It may not be that he has actual spurs but he may be one of those Buns who go off their food if their molars get too long/sharp.
Does Frankie have a smoothe lower jaw or is it lumpy?
Does he ever get watery eyes?

Janex

Thanks Maizey. He's a lovely boy and I hate seeing him out of sorts :(

Thanks to you too Jane, I'm glad it sounds as though the Zantac is the right thing to do :D I was a bit unsure as it wasn't a med that I'd heard of before, but the vet we saw on Saturday was lovely and she seemed to really know her bunnies.

Frankie's never had any problems with his eyes at all. I'll have to double check his jaw but I've certainly never noticed any obvious lumps or bumps. I was just reading another thread though and I noticed someone mentioned moulting - Frankie does moult terribly, there's fure everywhere at the moment. Maybe he's eaten some of that?

I'm going to give the vet a ring now anyway and get him booked in for another consultation to be on the safe side. He's eating but something isn't quite right :( I have to take Flora (GP) tonight to get her stitches checked so hopefully they'll let me take Frankie in at the same time :oops:

Back