• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any plants that can keep away the flies??

harpo

Warren Scout
Does anyone know of any plants that are good at keeping the flies away from the hutches? I've heard that lavender can help. Even when my hutches are clean i can still see flies and midges lurking nearby.

basil is a good one also mint but the pennyroyal variety which is not very bunny friendly not to be eaten,poisnous to bunnys

amanda

I found this I hope it helps.We have had letters typical of the following from Mrs Ann Offen, being a farmer's wife from Biddenden in Kent, dated the 16th of October 1990. She wrote: Dear Sir, I would just like to congratulate you on a fantastic plant. I live on a farm with pigs etc., which attract a great number of flies and wasps. Since buying the Eau de Cologne plants they have grown and spread out. I just pinch and rub the leaves to release scent and wait. The flies and wasps after a while get a drunk effect and then drop down dead, truly amazing, seeing is believing. I am so pleased with them and don't now have to use those horrid smelly aerosols etc.

Also try growing plants that attract the small fly-munching insects like ladybirds.

Plus, don't kill spiders...

Emma

Garlic plants, not only do they keep away Vampires, but they also keep lots of bugs away. In fact Garlic is the best natural fly repellent, horse owners swear by it.

Garlic also repels slugs, the lettuces I've grown next to the garlic are untouched - everything else on the patch has been shredded by the slugs!

Since Max had flystrike I am going out tomorrow to buy some plain net curtain and some stick on velcro.

I am going to cut the velcro to size and attach it to the net curtain and the other half around the playhouse door and then I can attach the net curtain when the playhouse door is open and take it off quickly and simply, or even attach the bottom abit higher when they have free-range of the garden so they can get in the bottom but the flys can't.

The rabbits can still see out and the light gets in but the flys cannot get through :D

Citronella plants are brilliant or if you cant get the plant, some citronella oil, just dab a few spots around the edge of each hutch once a week

Back