• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jam sandwiches and some advice needed

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
Charlie went to the vets on Fri morning and was put on a course of Baytrill for a week for his jaw abcess. I've never had to give a rabbit anti botics before and after reading on here some stressful stories I decided to try bribery he now takes Baytrill fine on jam 'sandwiches'. A quarter of a slice cut into three sarnies. Not good for him I know but he's getting all the baytrill.

Anyway he is to go back on Fri for a pre op vet check then he'll be operated on. To remove the abcess and take off a few medium burrs on his teeth. (they don't think that is what caused the abcess but will take them off anyway). But my query is Mocha. What shall I do with her? See if the vets will admit her too so she doesn't 'forget' Charlie? They have only been together since May and I don't want her to forget him and him her. I assume he will have to stay in over night like when he was neutered. Which will seem like forever for all concerned. So advice needed!!

The abcess doesn't seem to be shrinking like the vet hoped so he'll be under for a while. Trying to think positively. :)

Most rabbit savvy vets would understand that a bonded pair need to be kept in together, and if they have done it previously then there shouldn't be a problem this time round.

When Minstrel had to have baytril a couple of weeks ago, the vet suggested putting it on some brown bread, however she just turned her nose up at it. the following two times i popped it on a fengucreek crunchie, but the second time was very hard to get her to eat it :roll: So we finally had to resort to a small handful of pellets and hand feed her.:roll: fussy critters!:lol:

I would send them in as a pair..he will need her comfort to help him recover,

Is his abcess joined to the bone or not?
If not and it can be opened to be cleaned out..antibiotic beads work well..may be worth asking your vet? means you have to clean out abcess and insert capsule into hole but one of our vets uses this with good results:D

If he has the op will be thinking of him x

The vet said it was close to the bone but she doesn't think it is on the bone. I think the decision will be made on Fri over what will be done, they wanted to try to 'shrink' it first. But I haven't seen any improvement yet.

I wasn't allowed to take Phoebe in when Hobbes had his abscess cleaned out. She sat and pined for him all day!
The first time I took her in a big carrier to collect him and then put him in with her for the car journey home which was fine. The second time I didn't have time to get her ready so I just bought him home and popped him in the dog crate with her. She immediately started to wash him so I guess she hadn't forgotten him in the space of 8 hours.

Back