• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Deaf rabbits...

jane28

Alpha Buck
Right i think my two are deaf :roll::lol:

Its a bit weird that both of them would be but on all the occasions they have had their backs to me and i go upto the cage they fly off like a bat out of hell!

NOw i dont creep up on them... I go outside and walk up talking to them and sometimes if they havent noticed me i clap my hands... Nothing...
Then when i am in eye sight they bolt...

Has anyne had any experience of this? They are sisters so wondering whether it is a litter thing?

:wave: It's possible they are both deaf. How old are they? What colour are they and do they have red eyes? Are they uppy eared or lops?

Deafness can be genetic, it can also be caused by a couple of illnesses, for example e.cuniculi infection can cause deafness. It can also be caused by a built up plug of wax/ear mites. I have fostered a deaf bun before, you just have to be very careful to go towards them so they can see you before you suddenly surprise them at short range, and be more vigilant about predators as they can't hear them coming. Other than that, they seem to do very well and definitely sleep very deeply :lol:

Do you have an otoscope? You can view the inside and see if too much wax is blocking their hearing. My very first bun, for unknown reason, has a lot of wax. The very first time I clean her, I must have used up 50 to 60 cotton swab. The amt. of wax / grease / dirt is unheard of.

if you don't have an otoscope, you can try your baby finger as a test (wrap in Kleenex), or use cotton swab to test out if there is a lot of wax

Of course, there could be mites in there right now

This has been going on since i have had them (over a year now) they have had vet checks up since (along with their vaccs) and ears are fine... Is there a deafness test you can do for buns? APart from nearly giving them a heart attack when they cannot see you!

They are both about 2 1/2 years old

I've had a couple of bunnies who I found were deaf. I just approached them from the front each time and with one of them in particular, I used to put my finger in front of her nose and she'd follow it to the food bowl!

The great thing is that neither of them ever thumped!:lol:

Bugsy has got a waxy ear problem but I'm convinced he only has partial hearing .If you go up behind him and he hasn't seen you he freaks right out and runs a hundred miles an hour round the garden and dives under a bush

Smokey once bolted she misjudged where the opening into the shed was and went head first into outside shed wall at 100mph... She was a bit dazed but ok after 1/2 hour...

I tell you when i saw the thud i felt physically sick... :(
I will ask the vet when they go in for their spays on wednesday...

If you are near them, and you hold a bell on your hand, if you then shake that bell behind their line of sight, then should at least turn their head, or be curious as to the source of sound

Back