• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking Bun on a ferry.

Claire&Louis

New Kit
Hi guys.

I'm new and hopefully posting in the right part!

I have an 8 ish month old Netherland Dwarf (bought from Pets at Home so no clue how old he really is!!!)

I am moving to Ireland in September and we need to transport Louis over. I've looked on both BMI and FLYBe's websites and they can only transport Cats and guide dogs.

The only other option is going to be ferry. We live near Manchester, so can either go from Stranraer or Liverpool.

With Stranraer, it's a 6 hour drive, but only 2 hours on the ferry, and Liverpool is a 40 minute drive, with 8 hours on the ferry.

Both ferry routes say that Lou will have to be left in the vehicle whilst on the boat. Can anyone provide any info on the best way to get him over to Ireland? Obviously I really want to take him with me! Thank you in advance.:)

Hmm - if it were me, I think I'd be a bit sneaky and get myself one of those pet carriers that looks like a sports bag. I'd then do my best to just 'take my bag with me' when I left the car and keep out of everyone's way up on deck!! I'm serious - where I go, my pets go too!

Personally, I'd opt for the longer car journey where I can keep my bunny with me and as short a time as possible on the ferry where I may possibly have to leave him in the car (assuming he's OK with travelling by car). You can always do lots of stops in the car to give him some breathing space. If you have to leave him for 8 hours on one of the ferry trips, will you be able to go back onto the car deck to check on him?

Ooh where would I get one of those from? That sounds like an excellent idea. I was debating putting him in my handbag!

Back